Cornwall 2 - Newquay / Driftwood Cottage/ a very small manor house Trerice


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » Newquay
February 21st 2017
Published: February 27th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Finally on to Driftwood Cottage our base for the next week . We had contacted the owner the night before and as she lived on site and we could arrive when we liked. Porth is situated just outside of Newquay. A tiny village just on the beachside with views of the breaking Atlantic. We knocked on the owners door and she took us up the stairs to the cottage. It was small but perfectly formed with views across the beach from the upper deck area. After living in a bungalow for three years we did find the climbing up the stairs quite a novelty . Inside we found a white and blue confection with winding staircase. An upside down cottage with the small lounge upstairs and the bedroom downstairs. The floor Cornish slate slabs with underfloor heating. Lovely and warm on our feet. A cooking area with fridge/freezer and granite worktops. Stone walls and driftwood sculptures dotted around the walls. A log burner which we sat in front of it all night wishing we had one at home. Driftwood mirrors were placed over the log burner. The beams painted in a pale washed blue. It seemed particularly strange sleeping in a bed that was not inside Suzy. It rained all night so we did not hear the pitter patter of rain on the roof . We loved the driftwood plaque over the door which said that we should not hide from the storm but learn to dance in the rain. I reckon this week will involve a lot of dancing in the rain.

As this was Glenns first visit to Cornwall I wanted to make sure he visited every National Trust and English Heritage property in the Duchy. The first I chose was the tiny manor house of Trerice in the tiny hamlet of Kestle Mill. I had visited many times before but oddly this time it seemed much smaller than I remembered. When I was younger I remember mum and dad towered above me, I remember Christmas and holidays taking a long while to come round . As I got older things came round much quicker and mum and dad were smaller than I remembered . Perhaps Trerice was just like this. It felt tiny.

Arriving we noticed the Lambs tails were much further on than back home . Daffodils bloomed everywhere,. In fact there was much evidence of farming of daffodils on a grand scale with fields and fields full of the yellow delights. Camellias blossomed in the gardens as did the magnolias. Spring had come earlier to this part of the world .

Parking up we were surprised at just how many folks were out on the lovely afternoon . Older folks walking and younger ones with prams taking their children for a walk. In the lovely afternoon sunshine we passed the National Trusts homage to modernity and technology - an electric power point for charging electrical vehicles. The walk to the house had plants and shrubs underplanted with minature daffodils, white and mauve Lungwort and yellow primroses. The Elizabethan knot garden was filled with Lavender which later in the summer would fill the small but perfectly formed garden with scent.

Upon entering the reception we had a dilemma. We had two cards - the old one which would run out in a few days time and the new 2018 card which had not started yet. I chose the new one . Mistake - I thought we would have to go back for the old one but the lovely lady accepted it but told us not to use it again until the start of next month. The house was another granite building with a slated roof. Once the home of the Arundel family it has been built by 1572 and 1573. Built on the site of an older house it remained in the hands of the Aclands until the line died out when it passed to the Acland family. After the 1860 a storm damaged the house and it was partially left derelict or dismantled. It was bought by Cornwall County Council and the land parcelled up into smaller farms which they gave to war veterans from the first world war. Purchased by the National Trust in 1953 it was fully restored.

We were welcomed to the house by a room guide and pointed in the direction of the Screens passage. We turned left into the Great Hall tiny in comparison with many great halls but it still packed a punch. The huge mullioned window with its 576 panes stretched from floor to ceiling letting in light to the high white barreled roof. A fire burned in the white plastered fireplace. Above the fireplace a frieze was carved . The carver made a mistake in the way he carved the date. Carving away he got carried away and carved three CCC's instead of two and by the time he got to the end of the frieze he had no space left for the last numbers III . Instead he had to make do with putting a 3 on the end. His excuse that God is perfect and he was not. Above and high up the walls were the spaces that opened out into the Minstrels Gallery . Music would have drifted down without the family below having to see the musicians. Lovely room we thought .

From the Great Hall we entered the drawing room presented as it would have been in the early 19th century . Originally this room was a service room leading to the old kitchens. The staircase made up of several old staircases led up to the Great Chamber. This was presented as Madam Arundells chamber with furniture based on an inventory of 1698. The ceiling was white and barreled in the same style as the room below. Around the corner is the Long Gallery. Not as long as many we have seen but still perfect with its white walls much lighter and pleasant and would have made a wonderful walk for the ladies on cold dark grey winter days. Paintings lined the white walls which were very different to the usual oak panelled. Beyond the Long Gallery was the back of the minstrals gallery and beyond this the North Chamber presented in the style of a sitting room of the 1950's. This part of the house looks very Arts and Crafty from the outside and inside with its pale green walls, large central heating pipes and radiators, comfortable chintz chairs and bakelite radio . Across the landing is a bathroom that takes you back to the 1920s and beyond that The Chough room originally a sewing room belonging to Mrs Elton. The room now displays a collection of memorabilia from the Home Guard stationed at the house during the second world war.

At this point we had completed our tour of the house and it was time to drive back home, light the fire and settle down for a night in warming our toes in front of the fire.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb