Fowey


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » Fowey
August 11th 2014
Published: September 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

11thAugust

Falmouth to Fowey – 23nm. A cold but fast trip as we had the tide with us. Didn't leave Falmouth till after 1pm to have the tide. Spring tides, so strong currents and can't get it wrong or it will be against you the whole way!! So tide with us we were doing 6 -7kts most of the way! Were running wing and wing for most of the way until we turned up the coast to head into Fowey. Phil was out in the cockpit and I was at the nav station. Suddenly we heard a noise and Phil yelled out...The Dinghy’s gone!!. Quickly we started the motor, furled the heady and centred the main. Then turned to boat around to get the abandoned Zodi!! Took a few times to get it as the swell and waves were quite strong as was the wind. But got her we did, re-secured her and went on our way. The tethering point (for want of a better word) had broken free from it's plastic holding. Note to self – remember to always have safety line secured at a different point to towing point (like we always used to!!) Found a mooring easily up the Fowey and settled down by 1800. Just missed a very heavy rain squall, could see it coming behind us, and we ended up just getting the edge of it of course as we were dousing the main and picking up the mooring! The harbour master came over to collect our fees and when we asked if he had any specials going, he said we could have the 4th night free but had to claim it in September or October Not much use to us. When he asked our length – we said 39 foot – oh he replied....11.85m. Well if we say you're 11m, then it will cost you 18pound a night. Of course we replied....we're 11m. So instead of paying 24pound, we're down to 18 a night!! Nice man!!



12th August

Happy Birthday Debby!! Just sitting here in the Fowey River watching the world go past...and what a busy world it is here in the River!! It's overcast, had a few showers and then the sun comes out and so it continues. Suddenly the rescue tender heads out of the river – not at the compulsory 6knt limit. Behind it by a minute comes the bigger rescue boat, once again faster than 6kts. Not sure whats going on, but obviously a boat somewhere in distress as the rescue boats weren't mucking around!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 12; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb