Falmouth


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » Falmouth
August 4th 2014
Published: September 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

4thAugust

Helford river to Falmouth today – 7nm. No wind, and what there was came right on the nose, so didn't even bother tacking back and forth like some other yachts did, just pointed right for Falmouth and motored in. No mucking around...just get there!! Came to the Falmouth Yacht Haven and there was a spot right against the pontoon for us – Yay, no rafting up. Nice and secure. Went to the Chain-locker for dinner. Pub very close by and had 2 courses for 10pound each!!



**Not much really happened in Falmouth, loved window shopping in all the little shops (so many of them) found a Caribbean food cafe and had the best Roti since Tobago. Really didn't hold much hope for it – a roti in the UK, but sure enough, it was fantastic. So had another one later in the week.





9th August

Today there was a helicopter hovering over the jetty, I filmed it thinking it was all part of 'Falmouth Week' that started yesterday. It was there for ages and I was waiting for it to do something. Then it took off suddenly and went up the creek a bit. Soon after, the guy on the boat next to us told us that a man had abanonded his car in the carpark and left a suicide note. Someone had seen a man jumping off the jetty. He had heard it all on his vhf on channel 0. We can't get channel 0. Blast!!!! There were police in zodi's going up and down the river and the helicopter was hovering around for at least an hour. Later that night we were down near the jetty, looking for a place to eat for dinner and there was a police diver and a full uniformed guy moving people along. We found out later that the body had washed ashore there just 2 hours earlier!!



10th August

The big blast from Ex-hurricane Bertha came in today but not as bad as expected. However, reading the papers, you'd think it was a disaster...in fact 'chaos' was the word used. Really don't think UK is set up for bad storms!! Sure it was windy and we're glad we stayed an extra night secured against the pontoon and it was very sheltered in Falmouth, but still, the panic going around from some of the yachties was not warranted


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0532s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb