Visit to Fowey


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » Fowey
September 24th 2018
Published: September 24th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Fowey harbour Fowey harbour Fowey harbour

We could see the church and the mansion house owned by the local person. He tried to make his house look higher than the church.
Mark had printed the bus timetable between Mevagissey and Fowey via St Austell and suggested we take the bus at 13:00 for Fowey. It takes an approximately hour, but roadworks were carried on around Tyewardreath village, and it took longer than the scheduled and it made us arrive the destination at 14.30.



We got off the hilly road, ‘Browns Hill’. I found the footpath leading down the church and was told that we would reach the town centre by following the footpath. Having walked down, I found the bookshop, The Bookend of Fowey, where I wanted to visit for a long time. I soon found bookshelves stocked with numerous books written by Daphne du Maurier and her sister, Angela du Maurier. I took down the titles which hadn’t read. I found these books, e.g. Hungry Hill, Don’t look now (short story series). I took 4 books from the shelves and bought them at a full price by debit card. This little bookshop had a lot of interesting, rare books of Cornish authors.



Although the ferry between Mevagissey and Fowey was cancelled, ferry between Fowey and Polruan, the vehicle ferry between Fowey and Bodinnick, and the river cruise of Fowey were running on 18 September. We decided to get on the river cruise run by the local man. He took us to the inland of the river and showed us the historical spots like one of Daphne du Maurier’s houses owned by her son, the shipbuilding house, Cornish mill factory complex, woodland areas and Polruan harbour with his interesting commentaries. We were shown a number of interesting buildings along the river which would have been impossible to see and reach if we hadn’t got on a boat.



Afterwards, we looked round the church and strolled through pretty shops on Fore Street.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb