Lanhydrock


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » Bodmin
January 10th 2011
Published: January 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

A beautiful country house and estate, south of Bodmin, have been managed by the National Trust.

The best was to access the property is the footpath, which starts from the outside of the Bodmin Parkway Railway station. The footpath takes you to the woodlands where birches, Scottish pines, and oaks are grown and the River Fowey flows below.

Following the footpath in parallel with the cyclist path, you will see a complex of grey-stone buildings, consisting of the gatehouse, manor house, and church.

The gatehouse, featuring the two-storey building, is one of few 17th century buildings which has survived. After walking past the gatehouse, you will see the U-shaped Jacobean style manor house, which was originally built in the 1620s in the reign of the King James 1st. The big fire occurred in 1881, and it destroyed much of the South and West wings but the North Wings and the gatehouse had survived. Afterwards, the house was refurbished in the high Victorian style. The son of Baronet Robertes and wife, Juliana organised modern medical facilities, central heating systems, got the church built for the residents and maids.

Visitors can look round more than 50 showrooms including the Dining Room, Drawing Rooms, Bedrooms, and Nursery, which were used by the Robertes family and their maids. Those rooms have collections of furniture, porcelain, cutlery sets, linen goods, suitcases, and toys, paintings and animals ‘ head displayed.

Don’t forget to look round the comprehensive late Victorian kitchen which includes the Meat Larder, Fish Larder, Daily Scullery, and Bakehouse.

Finally, you must not miss looking at the 17th century biblical plasterwork on the ceiling of the Long Gallery, which represent 24 stories of the Old Testament.

Lanhydrock possesses extensive garden and estate. Visitors are encouraged to look round St Hydrock Church, stroll through the parterre garden and cottage garden, and explore the parkland, woodlands, and riverside walks.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 59; dbt: 0.1486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb