Scarborough and Knutsford May Day Parade


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cheshire
May 7th 2006
Published: May 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Last weekend was a long weekend in the England in celebration of May Day, a holiday which dates back to Pagan times welcoming spring. We ventured off again for the weekend to the North East of England (Yorkshire to be exact) and began our holiday by visiting Whitby, a cute little typical seaside English village. Whitby is where Captain Cook was born and raised and there is a mini replica of the Endeavour which takes tourists out on joyrides. Whitby is also where "Dracula" entered the UK... The highlight of Whitby was Whitby Abbey which dates back to the Medieval times (and is still in pretty good condition considering).

We then drove into Robin Hood's Bay, which got it's name because Robin Hood kept his boats there in case he even needed to make a quick getaway, for a quick look. There wasn't much there, just a nice pub with a large beer garden overlooking the sea.

We stayed in Scarborough, but it wasn't as nice as Whitby unfortunately. There wasn't many restaurants or much to do - plenty of amusement arcades though! A castle remains looking over the town (with spectacular views!) and this was really the only highlight.

On our way back to Knutsford, we drove through the North Yorkshire Moors, where we drove through some cute villages, got caught up amongst 200 or so tractors raising money for the local ambulance service and walked along an old Roman road.

This weekend there were May Day celebrations in Knutsford, with a parade that ran through the town. Thousands ventured out to watch the parade (which is in it's 142nd year in Knutsford) whose only form of funding is pennies thrown to the participants in the parade. In the parade there were hundred year old penny farthing's, old horse and carts, dancers, marching bands and many local children dressed up in costumes that have been used since the parade began all those years ago!

Keep in touch!

Wes and Vic x


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

ScarboroughScarborough
Scarborough

The view of Scarborough from the Scarborough Castle
May DayMay Day
May Day

Plenty of revellers


Tot: 0.195s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb