Lode Abbey


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cambridgeshire
May 18th 2007
Published: May 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Weather Report

Bright start !
Surprisingly weather remained generally bright until late afternoon.

Probably should have set-off sooner but the poor weather of past few days has slowed down my reaction time ! Not expecting fine day… Left camp site at about 8.30am.

Made for Gog Magog hills only a couple of miles down the road with the intention of parking and walking up the hill to enjoy the view and take some phots. Arrived to find that the height limit into the CP was less than seven feet - my car with bike is over seven feet ! Cambridge City Council - really not very helpful.

That disappointment was put to one side and I headed to the east of Cambridge and started to work my way northwards. Landscape in this area both flatter and lower than that previously encountered in the county - at long last having moved into the Fens. Visited several villages with usual mix of thatched cottages and medieval churches.

Highlight was undoubtedly the National Trust property at Lode which includes Anglesey Abbey, formal - and not so formal - gardens and Lode Mill. This would make an enjoy half day - if not whole day visit. The gardens are massive and laid out in the manner typical of an English country estate and have recently been extended to include Hoe Fen where there are bird hides. Close to the Abbey are the elegant formal gardens within which you will find Greek and Roman statues. The Abbey building is a fusion of styles which I guess looks pretty but to me lacks authenticity. Inside are attractive rooms with many pieces of rare and valuable art. Lovely waterside walk to the water mill where you can see corn being ground in the traditional manner.

There are excellent facilities with individual electric buggies available and a regular ‘golf cart type buggy’ taking folk to the Abbey. The paths are all flat and easy walking. Other facilities include a restaurant, picnic areas and ample parking.

… and finally ….Swaffham Prior …. Small pretty village where the two medieval churches are less than 100m apart and so share the same churchyard. This obviously unusual situation has its origins in the twelfth century when perhaps there were two manors in the same village. Although only St Mary’s is active St Cyriac has been carefully restored by the Churches Conservation Trust. The glory of St Mary’s is its unusual Norman tower which presents an octagonal upper perspective surmounted on a square base. Worth a visit.

Arrived at the family estate shortly before 6.30pm.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0653s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb