USAF Memorial


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cambridgeshire
May 7th 2007
Published: May 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Weather Report

Heavy rain overnight continued to about 7am.
Thereafter the morning was dull, overcast, drizzly and cool.
Prolonged sunny spells from early afternoon

The wet weather had been predicted so settled down to some office work.

Set-off (in car) just after 1pm and apart from having to sit out one heavy shower was relatively lucky with the conditions - reasonable light to beyond 6pm.

Explored the extreme south west of the county between Royston (Herts) and Saffron Walden (Essex). Landscape much as before - I think we can safely summarise the south of Cambs as being gently undulating with large fields of intensive arable given relief by thick hedges, isolated trees and small woods. Not dissimilar to Constable country - just in case my portrayal lacks detail or colour !

Usual pretty villages most with medieval churches some with outstanding features such as the fourteenth century painted rood screen in Guilden Morden. Also worth visiting is the USAF memorial in Steeple Morden and the windmill to the west of Great Chishill.

Little wildlife to be seen which of course is one of the downsides of this intensive farming. The occasional hare, one or two squirrel and many rabbits. Perhaps realising that I was a little disappointed with the lack of wildlife a yellow wagtail did kindly pose for me !

Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0622s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb