Bordering on Madness


Advertisement
Ukraine's flag
Europe » Ukraine » Lviv
September 18th 2007
Published: September 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today we had breakfast with Regan who lent us his book on the Ukraine. I made a few notes on accommodation and tour guides etc.

We ran out to the supermarket and bought some food for the train journey. (namely bread, cheese and fruit) We settled the bill with the hostel which was cheaper than we thought which is always a good thing. We walked to the train station avoiding every bit of sun possible. I now know where the British summer sun went, it's here at the end of September.

The train was alright in that we got a seat, but it was too hot in the compartments. For the last part of the journey in Poland we stood with our heads sticking out of the windows, it was very refreshing. The train terminated in a station called Przemyl Glowny which is one of the eastern most towns before the Ukraine. We went through passport control at the station which was daunting to say the least. People seemed willing to push you over if it enabled them to get ahead. Due to spending a few weeks in the Baltics we have learned a little something about being pushy as well, so we weren't completely overwhelmed. The actual train journey is a story in itself, but we decided it would probably be better not to elaborate on it just yet. Passport control had fun with Rob. They refused to believe that the picture was of him. The first lady took his passport away for a while. Four other officers came and examined his picture, all the time asking him to stand up and move his head from side to side. They seemed mostly concerned about the size of his ears and the fact that he had a scar on his head that wasn't on his passport picture. At first it was a little scary, but then it just became funny.

In Lviv we talked to three Polish people that were heading in our general direction, so we walked together. They were so nice. One girl spoke Ukranian so she went out of her way to make sure we would get to our hostel. It is also worth mentioning that on three separate occasions on the small walk from the station, someone asked if we needed any help. This more than made up for the slightly eerie, dark roads we walked down.

We are staying at a place called Kosmonaut hostel which seems to leave a lot to be desired. We did arrive fairly late though so it isn't fair to make judgements just yet. Rob is just updating our blog and then we will try and unpack and get ready for bed in the dark and total silence.
Night night everyone. Stob.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0268s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb