Train Trip to see Zermatt and the Matterhorn!


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
November 7th 2013
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 47.4735, 8.3076

We had talked about going to see the Matterhorn this year while we were here in Switzerland but of course we wanted perfect weather so we would have a good view of the Matterhorn itself.

Robert and Stefan had been watching the weather closely and we decided this was the day and it did not disappoint! Quick breakfast and fixed sandwiches to have for lunch and we were off to catch the train. We got there early enough to get a coffee and sit and people watch.

The train was packed until we got past Bern(the capital) and then pass through several towns, Thun, Spitz and others. At each town they would invite people to get off the train, what towns you could get a connection to and so on. Went through a tunnel that took 20 minutes that must have been quite an engineering feat.

Got to Visp and changed to the narrow gauge railroad and here the ride became absolutely stunning! The track was narrow and winding and so you could see the front of the train making the curve, mountain peaks looming and water rushing down river right by the train.

Because it was so steep the train had what was called a zahnrad which translates into a ratchet that assisted the train up the tracks.

It was a beautiful clear day when we arrived in Zermatt. Walked through the old town heading up toward the Matterhorn. Of course it is going through changes and there were lots of chic places around. But it is a walking city and cars are not allowed past the town of Tacsch except for people that live there I believe.

Ate our lunch near the edge of town and then took a walk up toward the Matterhorn. There were people skiing and you could see them heading up the lifts. Left the town behind and were able to get some very clear shots of the Matterhorn. Did not go this distance of course.

Back down the mountain and back to Zurich. Dinner of smoked salmon and salad and Julia shared her first film editing she had done.






Additional photos below
Photos: 104, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb