More adventures with Stefan and Marianne


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
July 27th 2016
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Kastienbaum, on Lake LucerneKastienbaum, on Lake LucerneKastienbaum, on Lake Lucerne

having a snack before we head out
Geo: 47.369, 8.53803

Trip to Lake Lucerne and Kastenienbaum

Stefan's family owned a house on Lake Lucerne that has been sold but the Erni 's still can use the boat house and so we went to spend a weekend enjoying beautiful Lake Lucerne and the boat house.

We set up our tent near the boat house with a lovely view out to Lake Lucerne. Got our things unpacked and set up and had a great dinner cooked outside on the home made grille and had a few glasses of wine before calling it a day.

The next morning enjoyed coffee and views across the lake before a leisurely breakfast. Most of the day was spent helping to some cleaning up of the shore area where detritus washes ashore and collecting fallen limbs to be used in the fire in the evening.

In the afternoon took the oar boat out for a ride on Lake Lucerne. Everybody took a turn rowing except for Laura who decided to just take pictures and enjoy the ride. The rest of the afternoon gathered things to grill veggies and sausage for dinner. Another nice evening of good food, fire and friends!

The next day broke down camp and headed back to Zurich
to regroup because we were heading out the next day for Erlingen and walk up to the Gipsgrueb to spend the weekend and attend another party of one of their friends.


Train to Ehrendingen and the Gipsgrueb

Got ourselves packed up and headed down to catch the train to Baden and the bus to Ehrendingen and then take the short walk up to the Gipsgrueb. Did shopping in Ehrendingen because they were afraid many shops would be closed because this weekend was Swiss Independence day. We were also going to be celebrating Stefan's birthday.

Got to the Gipsgrueb and Stefan and Marianne have have made themselves a nice flat complete with wood burning stove and kitchen area. They also got the large table from the family estate that fits in quite nicely.

Had our dinner outside on some tables they have also acquired and got to say hello to Michael and enjoy the view as the sun was setting looking back down the hill.

The next morning we enjoyed coffee as we were setting things up for Stefan's birthday. We decided to eat inside because it had been sprinkling off and on and did not want to have to move it all inside. What a
feast it was! Smoked salmon, cheese, fruit salad, a special fish shaped almond filled bread along with champagne compliments of us!

Got things cleaned up and headed back down the hill to attend a party of their friend Bernard who is a sculptor and has a very interesting studio near the train station. Stefan had brought some steaks to grille and we also had some other foods that had been brought by various people. Robert contributed some beer to the festivities. Walked around in old town Baden before heading back to the Gipsgrueb.

The next morning Michael showed us his ultra-light from it being in its trailer, taking it out piece by piece and putting it together and then actually putting the thing on his back. It was quite a story how he had it put together and the process for takeoff and landing and some
of his adventures!

Stefan and Marianne had an independence day party to attend and we decided it would be more fun to just stay there at Gipsgrueb and relax. Enjoyed a cheese tart with them before they left.

Michael had suggested we go kayaking the next day so we went up into the top of the barn, got the kayaks down and loaded into the trailer so we would be ready for a fairly early departure the next morning.

Had a light dinner and sat out and visited with Michael and Esther and we all enjoyed some schnapps and wine

The kayak adventure started the next morning with a stop at the bakery to pick up a sandwich for our lunch. Robert and I each had a kayak and Michael was sitting on top of a windsurfer. The water was pretty calm, nice birds out in the main part of the lake, Beinwil a See and we were heading over to a channel that would lead to an old castle Schloss Hallwyl and the Museum Aargau. Once we got into the channel, it was easier to keep the kayak in a fairly straight trajectory! Stopped and checked out the Schloss Hallwyl before heading back.
The weather was nice, plants near the shore interesting and the ducks were quite entertaining.

Got back to Gipsgrueb where Stefan and Marianne had gone on home to get things ready for the dinner with Ale and Eric. The dinner was fun as usual because they are such entertaining people to visit with and the food was outstanding.

Sailing on Lake Constance
Our final adventure was taking the train and bus to Lake Constance where Stefan was going to sail with a friend. We just went along to see that part of Switzerland and just watch the activity out on the lake. There were several sailing classes being taught and was interesting to watch as they set sail. Ended the day with our final dinner with a fairly early evening because once again we had an early departure.




Additional photos below
Photos: 68, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0222s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb