Sights near Interlaken


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
September 16th 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Trying to figure out where we areTrying to figure out where we areTrying to figure out where we are

Barry and Mary, members of our group actually have ancestors here. We are looking on the maps to find the region from whence they came. They visited the area while the rest of us went to the Swiss Open Air Museum.
Geo: 46.7541, 8.03187

After picking up a picnic lunch from the Bakery this morning, we caught the 8:13am train from Kandersteg to Interlaken where we changed trains to Brienz. We walked up to the wood carving museum and explored all the intricate (and very expensive) wood carvings.

We then caught a bus to the Swiss Open-Air Folk Museum at Ballenberg. Across Lake Brienz from Interlaken, the Swiss Open-Air Museum of Vernacular Architecture, Ccountry Life, and Crafts in the Berner Oberland is a rich collection of more than 100 traditional and historic buildings brought here from every region of the country. The 50 acre park, laid out roughly as a huge Swiss map (Italian Swiss in the south, Appenzell in the east, and so on) is a natural preserve providing a wonderful setting for this cultural look at Switzerland. We spent several hours there and I finally got a close up video of the cows and bells I will attempt to add to this blog for your enjoyment along with many pictures.

We took the bus back for a boat ride on Lake Brienz. Interlaken is literally between the lakes of Thun and Brienz. The water is a bluish green cast against the backdrop of
The Swiss Fox RabbitThe Swiss Fox RabbitThe Swiss Fox Rabbit

The Swiss Fox Rabbit is a small long haired type that has long spoon shaped ears, the hare lip (split upper lip), the funny blinking movement of the nostrils, the rhythmical drawing back of the fold of fur over the nostrils as well as the mannerly rumination (the rapid chewing movements when feeding)
hugh mountains, swiss chalets and water falls.

Trains back to our home base of Kandersteg for another four course meal.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

The Swiss Fox RabbitThe Swiss Fox Rabbit
The Swiss Fox Rabbit

The Swiss Fox Rabbit is a small long haired type that has long spoon shaped ears, the hare lip (split upper lip), the funny blinking movement of the nostrils, the rhythmical drawing back of the fold of fur over the nostrils as well as the mannerly rumination (the rapid chewing movements when feeding)
Beautiful Swiss ChaletBeautiful Swiss Chalet
Beautiful Swiss Chalet

Built in 1837 is the typical home of a wealthy business man in that era. Beautiful tong and grove paneling and wood parquet floors are part of the interior.
My favorite photographerMy favorite photographer
My favorite photographer

Bob is taking pictures of the swiss chalet standing outside the front door entrance.
Swiss ChaletSwiss Chalet
Swiss Chalet

Dinning room with the table set displaying antique china and beautiful glassware of that era.
Swiss Chalet Swiss Chalet
Swiss Chalet

Close up of a table setting.
Swiss ChaletSwiss Chalet
Swiss Chalet

Parlor sitting room
Swiss ChaletSwiss Chalet
Swiss Chalet

Fire place and antique mirror.
Swiss Chalet Swiss Chalet
Swiss Chalet

Flower garden outside Chalet
Swiss ChaletSwiss Chalet
Swiss Chalet

Flowers displayed at entryway
Swiss ChaletSwiss Chalet
Swiss Chalet

Lemon tree....I have one of these.
Boat rideBoat ride
Boat ride

This is not the best picture; but, I wanted you to see the beautiful color of the water. Glacier Blue.


18th September 2015

Thanks, Diane. I feel like we have taken this wonderful excursion with you.

Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb