Heidi, Heidi, Ho


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
April 24th 2012
Published: April 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Switzerland is full of cliches, some deserved and some not. It is a beautiful compact country with picturesque towns and cities nestled along mountain lakes and up towards the alpine. The bike touring was great, but it presented some challenges as we often had to navigate along busy roads, and put up with inclement weather. Most of the time though, we spent cruising along lakes, farm roads and dedicated bike paths, while exploring some scenic towns and cities. Of course, we could always rely on the abundant chocolate to fuel our way, or at least hop on the incredibly efficient rail system to provide some quick shuttles. From Alex's amazing hospitality at the beginning and end of our trip, to Claire and Gerhold's surprise invitation, we felt very welcomed in the land of chocolate and cheese. It was a great ending to our travels, and our year away.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Pit StopPit Stop
Pit Stop

A road side honour system of payment. The Swiss are very trusting.
Exit!Exit!
Exit!

Not as ominous as it sounds
Adults at PlayAdults at Play
Adults at Play

Trying to go stronger, faster and higher.
Nesquick TimeNesquick Time
Nesquick Time

The headquarters for the mega multi-national is located in a small Swiss lakeside town. Very homey!
The TwikeThe Twike
The Twike

A two-seater covered ride. Perfect for the Swiss mountain weather.
Shuttle TimeShuttle Time
Shuttle Time

An easy way to avoid mountain passes and foul weather.
Riding the RailsRiding the Rails
Riding the Rails

The Swiss trains are outstanding. Double decker cars that have children play areas and plenty of bike storage.
der Barder Bar
der Bar

We had come across a bear viewing area just hours after learning that a bruin had gotten into our cabin, and trashed the cupboards. It was a little unbearable.
Fine Swiss HospitalityFine Swiss Hospitality
Fine Swiss Hospitality

On the same day that we had heard about the bear, and with rain clouds brewing, we ran into Claire who graciously offered us a room in her home. Claire and Gerhold provided great memories of our last night on the road.
OberageriOberageri
Oberageri

Claire and Gerhold's picturesque Swiss town.
The Final StageThe Final Stage
The Final Stage

Crossing Zurichsee (Lake Zurich) on the final leg of our biking journey.
Fini!Fini!
Fini!

Returning to Zurich and more great Swiss hospitality with Alex and family. Time to go home, visit family, and get ready for work after a year of leisure.


Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb