Lake Zurich


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
September 9th 2009
Published: September 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Monday morning - a train to Rappeswil at the southern end of Lake Zurich. The town boasts a famous monastery and castle and a visit was recommended by Pat Huddlestone.

Just outside the rail station is a cobblestone square surrounded by hotels. The lass in the information centre just outside the station suggested a stroll around the waterfront and up some steps to the castle, monastery and famous rose gardens. “Some steps” turned out to be about 1000 which Joan could not negotiate. Back to the information girl who suggested a circuitous route through the old town, streets sloping gently upwards and good photo opportunities.

The walk started easily through cobblestone streets past fine old buildings and some expensive looking shops). The slope got steeper towards the end and Joan ran out of puff short of the summit. However, some good photos including the monastery from low level. Back down the hill and lunch (mit wine) at a restaurant on the square facing the lake.

The return journey to Zurich was to be by boat. At the appointed departure time (1230) a grand old paddle steamer approached the pier crowded by passengers. We got aboard and settled down at table on the upper deck (having marveled at a view of the largest steam engine I’ve ever seen). The on board restaurant was serving great looking meals but as we’d already eaten we settled for coffee and more wine.

We appeared to be heading in the wrong direction (south not north) so I asked the waiter what was the ETA in Zurich. His reply was “about five o’clock”!!!! The timetable for the tickets I bought said 1430 - we’d got on the wrong boat!!

We settled down to enjoy the trip but after about an hour there was a loud bang from below and dense diesel smoke started to fill the boat. There was no fire but something serious had broken in the engine room and we were adrift. There was no wind and we were in the middle of the lake, wondering how we would get back to Zurich in time to join the Huddlestone’s for a planned dinner. A large scow carrying gravel and dirt pulled alongside and after much shouting to and fro in Swiss, the scow headed for shore to deposit it’s load. It returned about half an hour later, tied up alongside and pushed us to a pier beside a railway station. Everybody off and heading for the station which was south of Rappeswil. Eventually back to Zurich, change trains and home to the hotel. We now had plenty of time to prepare for dinner.

Picked up by Peter and Jeanette H. and driven a long distance to a 17th century restaurant overlooking Zurich. Joined by René and Pat. The meals were good but no Oz wine - the red we got (recommended by the waiter) was French and smooth but cost $80 - Ouch! because Joan and I were the hosts for this dinner!

Main event Tuesday - Joan had a hairdo - expensive but happy to be restored to her normal self. Booked a tour for Thursday to Engelberg (Angel Mountain) - a famous Swiss mountain village with a centuries old monastery and point of access to Mt Titlis ski area in winter. The advice is that there are no steps to climb and plenty of time to wander slowly.

Into Zurich rail station shopping centre again this morning for some minor items.

More when we return from Engleberg.

Take care

Chesty and Joan




Advertisement



Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb