Swiss Alps


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland
September 14th 2007
Published: October 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After cruising through the Netherlands, with brief stops in Amsterdam and Maastrict, we landed in the warm arms of friends in Switzerland, and had an amazing hiking experience as well. Dave's childhood friend Camia is an architect who lives in Basel, and hooked us up with the required hiking equipment for our 3 day journey through the Jungfrau region. Leaving our luggage and instruments behind, we headed off to our starting point in the small mountain town of Lauterbrunnen(796 m). We proceeded up up and away through Wengen, Wengernalp, and finally to our first night sleeping hut in Eigergletscher (2320 m). The scenery was no less than spectacular at any given moment...there's nothing like a good strong mountain to put things in perspective for you. Day one took about 7 hours on foot. We stopped here and there when the view was especially stunning, and ate yummy mountain food out of our packs...peanut butter and jelly on baguette, salami, cheese, swiss chocolate, and good ol'GORP. Day one major realization: Ana is way out of shape! Thank goodness for the hiking polls Camia gave me to help my poor knees and give my butt frequently needed boosts.

The mountain hut in Eigerglethscher was reminicent of the Overlook Hotel in The Shining. The rooms had tall wooden panel walls, warm red light that made everything glow, and a domed ceiling . The hall ways were eerily quiet and cold. The waiter spoke not a word, and giggled with a creepy smile anytime we requested anything. Dinner was hearty gnocchi with local lamb in thick gravy, brussel sprouts, rustic hard bread, cold beer, and a jelly donut for dessert...delish.

The next morning, we awoke expecting not to be able to move. But surprisingly, our joints seemed well lubricated and our muscles limber...must have been the gravy. We decided to nix the 9 hour hike we had initially planned, and instead take an underground train to the "Top of Europe", aka Jungfraujoch peak. This is supposedly the highest point in Europe that the average man can reach, and it costs a small penny to reach it. Up on top we dodged tourists, and looked in awe over the beautiful snow capped peaks and miles of Swiss valley landscape.

Returning from the top, we then started hiking down the Eiger trail to the small village of Alpiglen (1615 m). The Eiger trail was magnificent! It ran right on along the cliff face, giving distinct views on our left and right. It felt like we were in a virtual postcard...360 degrees of crisp mountain perfection. Our hut in Alpiglen was more in the Swiss Miss style with gingerbread window shutters and colorful flowers hanging from every window. We also had the pleasure of having a herd of cows, each equipped with a differently pitched cow bell hanging around their neck, orchestrating our own mountain soundtrack. We ate the cheese special for dinner...kinda like a Swiss lasagna, but substitutting bread for pasta.

Our last day, we hiked down to Grindelwald (1034 m) where we took a train back to Basel, picked out our belongings, and headed off to Zurich to visit our friend Joe and his lovely family, Mariko and Niyole.

Dave met Joe while teaching at HKIS. He now works at the International School in Zurich. We spent a wonderful weekend just hanging out family style. It was nice to be under the roof of friends for a few nights, and wander the streets of Zurich.

All in all, we were very impressed with Swiss hospitality and organization...highly recommended!

Thank you thank you thank you Camia, Joe and Mari!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

All in the FamilyAll in the Family
All in the Family

Joe, Niyole, Nau Nau, Michelle, and Mariko eat dinner


Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb