Grindelwald - Speiz, Faulensee, Thun


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Thun
June 11th 2011
Published: June 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Oberhofen CastleOberhofen CastleOberhofen Castle

The castle at Overhofen on Lake Thurn
Since the morning was spent in the village (Saturday) we took the train in the afternoon to Speiz and debated walking through to Thun. However, it was a bit late for that distance so we took the easy answer and walked from Speiz to Faulensee instead. We remembered this as being a very pretty walk from a past trip, but then, it poured with rain. This time it was quite serene. On arriving at Faulensee we caught the boat to Thun. We were fortunate enough to get the new boat called the Berner Oberland and it is very nice indeed. Once the boat called back across the lake to Gunten, we continued to stop along the coast to Oberhofen, Hilterfingen and Hunibach before arriving at Thun. These last three places are superb. The gardens along the lake are formal and beautiful. There is a prominade behind which are castles, and grand homes. It is like the Riviera of Central Switzerland. We have visited the Castle in the past with Fritz and Mariann but the views from the boat are more impressive from the shore.

Thun is a very impressive town dominated by an ancient castle above it. We've been there
The promenade along Lake ThunThe promenade along Lake ThunThe promenade along Lake Thun

The lake shore between Oberhofen and Hilterfingen on Lake Thun
before and really like the town on an island where the river branches into two channels. On this trip we want to do more hiking above the lake from Thun so we picked up a bus timetable which should get us up into the hills sometime in the future.

Thankfully, it was a cruisey day as 5 weeks of constantly being on the go is catching up and a few rest days would be in order. A visit to Thun anytime is a good way to spend a day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.329s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 16; qc: 62; dbt: 0.1356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb