Grindelwald - Murren Mountain View Track


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Murren
June 30th 2011
Published: June 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

What mountain views?What mountain views?What mountain views?

Lunch stop at a picnic area above Murren in low cloud. This is on the Mountain View track but obviously there are no views.
There was lightning followed by a huge thunderous reply reverberating between the valley walls first thing this morning. Oh, so the predicted rain and thunderstorms had arrived. What to do for the day? As the morning wore on the rain turned to low cloud. We have the technology in raincoats and over-trousers so let’s get out regardless. We packed our lunch and all possible gear for rain or sun and headed off to Lauterbrunnen where we caught the cable car up to Grusalp and then the BOB railway to Murren followed by the funicular to Allmendhubel. That got us up onto the Mountain View track running above Murren and Grusalp. What mountain view? There wasn’t any but heaps of cloud that you could barely see through. However, as the day went on the cloud came and went and we could see the mountains every now and then. At least we were out and about and not holed up in the house. We found a picnic/BBQ area up on the mountain to lunch at while the drizzle continued. Amazingly a group of 9 people wandered past looking at flowers but other than them we barely saw a soul. We walked through mountain pastures with huge numbers of colourful flowers. We came across enormous bolders the size of houses that had broken off some cliff face and rolled and jumped to their final resting place. That would be something to see. We lastly came across a herd of cows with their calves down at forest level before we headed down back to the cable car at Grusalp for the return to Lauterbrunnen. We debated at walking back to Zweitlutchenen and finally couldn’t be bothered so instead went to a restaurant for coffee and cake. We ordered an apple strudel and coffee and got an enormous desert instead. Apple Strudel with icecream, cream, and custard sauce! There was no way we felt like dinner after that. We headed back to Grindelwald at 6pm and had light stir fried vegetables to counteract the strudel.

The day was completed by me deciding to finally tackle typing up Guilia’s story from Annone Veneto in Italy. I have notes but they need typing and then some serious editing. It is interesting looking back at the time spent there with the people, the places we went and hearing about my relatives that previously I knew little about.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.417s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 18; qc: 62; dbt: 0.1541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb