Grindelwald - The Rothorn


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Brienz
June 28th 2011
Published: June 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The little engine that couldThe little engine that couldThe little engine that could

Remember the kids story of "Little Toot" - the engine that could. This was it! Such a small machine to push up carraiges on such steep inclines. It needed a renewal of water half way up.
As predicted, today was another 30+degree day. What to do without roasting? We figured if we got up high it would be cooler so off to Brienz again where there is a connection to the Rothorn Cog Railway way up to the Rothorn Peak.
The Brienz Rothorn Bahn takes you 7.6kms up the steep, 25 per cent gradient, and the 1678 metres in just about sixty minutes - a slow 60 minutes as the poor little steam engine has to push the carraiges up the mountain. The ride starts at the restored valley station in Brienz and soon you are above the tree line and into a high open alp with steep rock faces sculpted by ice in a past age. The Brienz Rothorn Line has been hissing, huffing and puffing its way from the village of Brienz to the Brienzer Rothorn since 1892. It is the only steam-powered cogwheel railway system with three generations of steam locomotives working to provide daily steam-train services.

It is a magical trip with the lake of Brienz unfolding beneath you and the high mountain alps to the south opening up as you get higher. It is made more enjoyable by the sounding of
On top of the Brienzer - RothornOn top of the Brienzer - RothornOn top of the Brienzer - Rothorn

Linds on top of the Rothorn with 4000m peaks in the background.
the puffing little train throwing steam out it's chimney and loud reverberations as you go through the many tunnels.

As thought, it was definitely cooler on the mountain top. We walked up to the mountain observation point and could see 360 degree views all over Switzerland. There wasn't time to do any serious hiking so we played tourists for the day and joined in the hoards frequenting this popular place. We have been on this railway before but only half way up because of the conditions last time. It was great this time to go the whole way.

So, a wise choice since arriving back down at lake level it was over 30 degrees. The same in Grindelwald despite being reasonably elevated. But tomorrow, rain, we believe. I wonder.......................




Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb