Chateau de Chillon


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Montreux
July 8th 2007
Published: July 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

On July 2, we went to visit the Castle of Chillon in Territet (I think it is in Territet and I think that is how you spell it) which sits right on by Lake Geneva. Territet is the city right next to Montreux. It was raining again that daz- what´s new? and we basically were told that we couldn´t go if it rained cuz we were supposed to make a 15 min walk from the funicular station. The funicular is basically a cable car that goes diagonally down the mt from the Glion station to Territet that comes every 15 min. The train, on the other hand, comes every 30 min. and kinda winds more and takes you to the heart of Montreux. Luckily, our program assistants ended up driving us from the station to the castle in huge Glion vans that fit like 10 ppl each. The castle was used as a prison for Bonivard´s imprisonment of 4 yrs. It is famous because the imprisonment inspired many great writers such as Byron to write the poem, "The Prisoner of Chillon" which is world-famous. We had a tour of the castle.. visited the prison chambers, rooms, chapel, etc. It was ok I guess.. but the doors, passage ways were all REALLY tiny. It was a nice experience, nevertheless.

I will post pictures when I am on Grace´s computer..

-Elaineeee


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb