Early to Rise for a Sunday


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Mürren
September 16th 2012
Published: September 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We woke up around 7:30 and decided to meet up at 8:00 for breakfast downstairs. There was a buffet and I had some eggs, bacon and bread with some really really good nutella spread!

After breakfast, we decided to head out on a short hike for start. We took the Allmendhubelbahn funicular up to some view points of the Alps. It wasn't quite as high as Jungfrau, but just as spectacular. After reaching the top, we decided to hike back down to town. There was supposed to be an easy "North Face" trail that lead back down to Murren. We found it, then lost it, but ended up just following signs for Murren to reach back down to town. It took about 2.5 miles but had some cool views. We saw lots of cows grazing in the "alps". The farmers have these high elevations stables called "alps." The cows can graze in elevations as high as 5,000 feet. The bells are strapped to the cows to be able to find them in the fog. The cows stays in these alps for about 100 days and then they are milked and then cheese is made.

After that, we came back to town for short rest. Then we headed out to Piz Gloria/Schilthorn (by way of Gondola from Murren to Birg-8,900 feet to Schilthorn. It's at 10,000 feet and it's also the mountain that 007 jumped off of in one of the movies. There some amazing panoramic views from the Piz. Crystal clear blue skies, snow capped mountains, tandem paragliders and amazing mountains. Wow. That's about all I can say!

From Piz, we ended up in Trummelbach Falls by way of Gondola (Schilthorn-Birg-Murren-Gimmelwald-Stechelberg). We walked along the River towards Lauterbrunnen. This was about a 4 mile "hike" we saw about 6 waterfalls along the way. Very cool. We ended our hike by climbing up Staubbach Falls to get up close and personal with the falls. Pretty cool, but I think Johnson Canyon in Banff still has a slight edge.
After Staubbach Fall, we decided 6 miles of hiking was enough for the day, so we took the gondola from Lauterbrunnen to Grutschalp and then switched to the train to get back to Murren. We had dinner at the Hotel Edelweiss restaurant in the town of Murren. I had Rosti which was hash brown potatoes, ham and fried egg. Yum yum! All in all, a good day with perfect weather. 70s and clear blue skies! Wonderful and beyond words!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

RostiRosti
Rosti

Rösti - a Swiss dish consisting mainly of potatoes. It was originally a common breakfast eaten by farmers in the canton of Bern, but today is eaten all over Switzerland. It's hashed browned potatoes on bottom, with ham, cheese and fried egg on top.


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb