Lauterbrunnen


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Lauterbrunnen
June 24th 2006
Published: February 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

AlpsAlpsAlps

more breathtaking views on our hike to the Trummelbach Falls
Needless to say, Lauterbrunnen, with all it’s stunning mountains and valleys, rivers and lakes, provides plenty of opportunities for all sorts of extreme sports like paragliding, bungee jumping and white water rafting. Foo and I weren’t game enough to try any of that, but we did go for a hike to see Trummelbachfalle (Trummelbach Falls).

Trummelbach Falls is a glacial waterfall - as the sun melts the ice and snow at the mountain peak, the resulting water works its way downwards, crashing and carving its way through the mountain to reach the bottom. We took a tunnel lift (similar to what miners use) up and into the mountain, and followed the waterfall on its tumultuous journey down.

The water temperature was just above freezing, at 2 degrees Celsius!! Even though it was really hot outside (I didn’t even know it could get hot near the Alps!), it was very very very cold inside the mountain, thanks to the gushing water! We tried to take photos and capture the impressive falls, but it just didn’t do it justice. Something like 22000L of water per minute apparently gushes down… wow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Trummelbach FallsTrummelbach Falls
Trummelbach Falls

inside the mountain with the waterfall (yes we got very splashed by the FREEZING water)
Trummelbach FallsTrummelbach Falls
Trummelbach Falls

slippery steps carved into the mountain
we woz 'erewe woz 'ere
we woz 'ere

foo and i left our marks, like many before us, and many to come..


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb