Euro trip through Switzerland


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Interlaken
May 22nd 2010
Published: May 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our road trip in the C class began early on Saturday morning. Heading south past Stuttgart on the autobahn we got our first go at testing whether we could break the elusive 200 mark.

Quick description of the trip:

Saturday 8/5 - travelled from Mainz to the Swiss border then onto Bern and Interlacken
Sunday 9/5 - found the most expensive railway in Europe $150 to catch a train to the top of a mountain. Went to Luzerne on the way to Zurich overnight
Monday 10/5 - travelled back to Mainz and got out speed record

Our trip along the autobahn was fun until we got stuck in a traffic jam for an hour. We reached the magical 200 mark whilst Tubby was driving we detoured into a German city that I have forgotten the name of. We went and visited a castle that overlooked the Rhein. Even went number 1 in a castle I was pretty proud of that fact! Next stop was te Swiss border, a town called Basel.
Being about lunch time we decided we should find something to eat. We went to a small town called Sissach assuming that they would speak English ( We were wrong). We asked for a traditional Swiss meal. We were quite excited about trying something different. She gave us some cheese on toast (luckily it was Swiss cheese). After filtering our arteries from all the fat and oil in the cheese we headed for Bern the capital of Switzerland. It was a beautiful city! Onto Interlacken for the night. It was an interesting night but could it not be when the final establishment you drink at is called The "Funny Farm". We watched the Swiss play ice hockey in a very dodgy pub before moving onto another. We contemplated visiting Hooters but we decidied to give it a miss to go to backpacker bars instead.

The road along the lake to interlacken was amazing. I'm sure top gear will show it soon. Mark severly enjoyed driving this section and sitting shotgun I know why!

Sunday morning the plan was to head to the top of Jungfrau the tallest mountain in Europe (don't quote me on that fact though). We arrived at the train station excited after hearing about the activities to do up there from a tour guide we had met at the pub the night before. The lady said that it would be 162 Swiss francs. We thought that was for all 3 of us. Which we though was slightly expensive but it was a tourist attraction so they probably Jack up the prices. Unfortunately the ticket was an individual price so we immediately decided against that. We then headed to Luzerne. Another amazing city! After walking along the rover that ran through the city and then seeing some more churches we moved onto our next destination. Zurich we decided it probably wasn't wise to have two big nights in a row but we ended up in a night club but after awhile and not feeling right soon left and called it a night.

Monday we had to head back to Germany so mark could go to work. There is t much to say except 231km/hr. It was the most enthralling feeling. The aim is next time I want a bigger and faster car. After arriving back in Mainz we visited a microbrewery and got a 3L jug of beer which was an amazing way to finish our time in Germany.

Next stop Edinburgh,

sorry for poor grammar and spelling but that is due to restricted access to computers and me writing the blog on my phone. Also the reason for no photos.

Until next time,

Nick




Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb