A quick 350km detour to Switzerland


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Geneva
July 12th 2012
Published: July 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 20 - Friday 6th July to Day 23 – Wednesday 11th July 2012

What a great detour to Switzerland……..

With our Russian and Mongolian visas having been orgainsed in Australia, rather than in London, Team Free are around 4-5 days ahead of schedule, so with this extra time available, we decided to do a quick 350km detour to Switzerland.

In my last post I mentioned that we were staying with Lisa, Daniel, Alexia, Zoe and William Ross-Magenty Blaettler in Geneva. Jackson, Harrison and Hunter made some new friends and Melissa and I caught up on some old times with Lisa.

The first day saw Team Free taken on a personal tour of Geneva by Lisa and Co. We had a great day which finished with dinner in their garden which is located about 300 metres from their actual house. This also includes a small Chalet (cottage).

Day 2 in Geneva saw a massive Swiss/Aust project being under taken with the construction of a Dam and a Bridge across the small river running behind the property by the 6 kids. Let’s hope the Swiss can maintain these engineering marvels for the years to come. I’m sure they will. Since leaving Geneva, Lisa has already advised us that both structures have become quite popular with the locals!!! It was fantastic to spend a day just ‘hanging out’.

Monday saw us leave Geneva and head towards Luzern. Thanks Lisa and Daniel for your wonderful Swiss hospitality and you have 3 great kids that I’m sure our boys will always remember a great weekend end. The only problem that it wasn’t long enough!!!

The 4 hour drive to Luzern took us though some amazing country side. We had lunch on the side of the road (which is becoming the norm) and then arrived in Lucerne in the early afternoon via Interlaken. We actually made it to Lucerne, unlike some close friends of ours who ended up in Lausanne instead of Lucerne (That story could be an entire blog entry by itself and I would never name names, hey Jono and Lorraine?) Before finding a hotel, we did a quick visit to the Rotsee. For those non-rowers, it’s one of the most famous rowing courses in the world. I even felt fitter just being there!!!!

Staying just near the Bahnhof (train station) just felt like old times.
Top of Mt TitlisTop of Mt TitlisTop of Mt Titlis

Perfect weather for such a great day on top of the world.
We walked across the famous Chapel Bridge which was first written about in 1367 and had dinner by the river. And just like old times, you quickly remember how much things cost in Switzerland. (Thanks Aust Rowing for picking up the tab on my other visits)

The next morning saw us go up the top of Mt Titlis. It’s about 40 minute drive from Lucerne to Engelberg and once you arrive you take a combination of cable cars and gondolas to the top which also takes around 40 minutes. The weather at the top was great, which is always a bit of a gamble. Just as we were leaving, the weather closed in. Perfect timing for Team Free. At an altitude of 10,000 feet, the boys were not able to run around as much as they could at sea level, which was a good thing with massive drops of thousands of feet everywhere!!!

It was funny to see all the tourists at an altitude of 10,000 feet in shorts and t-shirts. Jackson and Harrison kindly lent their jackets to two Thai girls who thought they were still in Thailand!!!

We then drove north of Lucerne though the old training locations of Sempach and Sursee before leaving Switzerland and arriving in France again and then into Germany for the first time staying in the small (yes another old training location) town of Breisach on the French German boarder along the Rhine River.

Yesterday saw us drive through 4 countries. We woke up in Germany, drove through France to Luxembourg then arrived in Belgium.

Stay tuned for our next blog from Belgium………………..


Additional photos below
Photos: 110, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



12th July 2012

Have a few chocolates for us!! xxxx
12th July 2012

Switzerland has just gone up a few places on my must visit one day list!
13th July 2012

Memories
Bet this brings back lots of memories from when you were there with the Australian Rowing Team and all that hard training. This must feel a lot different this time. Enjoy!
13th July 2012

Lucerne
Hi Mate loving the blog - the photos and description of Lucerne brought back a few downing memories!! Did you get to the ice caves on the mountain? Take care buddy. Regards Rob
19th July 2012

Hi Rob
We went up to Mt Titlis and into the icecave up there. Trip is going great. Lucerne will always have some great memories of the good old days hey?
14th July 2012

lovely pics great details
Hi team marcus - looks like ur having a grt time been to Interlaken and Lucerne myself a few years back did u manage the jungfrau ? and did you manage to see the lovely blue lake ps hope the kids enjoyed some yummy swiss choccies
18th July 2012

Adrian at school on iPads
Dear Hunter it looks like you are having a great time. During my holidays my family went to Sydney. Now we are at school. It is our first week. We have two new boys Terrance and Riley. We are learning about transport. Do you like traveling? From Adrian
18th July 2012

At school on iPad
Hello Hunter Free, dear hunter -it looks you are haveing a great time.during my holiday my family took me to a car show there were about 300 cars. There were yellow,green cars and blue cars. At school we have two new boys and their names are Riley and Terry. Have you met any new people? Jaxon is my friend while you are away. From Saxon
18th July 2012

To my 2N Class
Hi Mrs Napper and Class We went to Legoland yesterday in Denmark. It was really cool. There are lots of rides. There is a lego shop and it is the biggest in the world. The trip is going very well and I've seen lots of things. We drive our car on the other side of the road and the sun does not go down until after 10 o'clock. We have been to 10 different hotels trying to get a room because it is busy. Hope everyone is good. From Hunter.
18th July 2012

Important news from Australia
The Frees may not have heard some important news from the land down under that may not have made it onto CNN reports. The Gold Coast Suns had their first win of the season against Richmond in Cairns! Karmichael Hunt kicked the winning goal after the siren to give the Suns a 2 point win. They take on the Lions at Carrara this weekend and who knows, just might do it again. Anyway, will let you get back to your jet-setting (or should that be Jeff-setting?). By the way Marcus, I am intrigued to know what "mechanical repairs" you were carrying out on Jeff's underbelly... Scott
18th July 2012

The Suns
Hi Mr Wilson It made the CNN and BBC News over here too!!! All going well. Team Free
19th July 2012

Jeff the Volvo
Jeff was sounding like a Ferrari. He now sounds like a Volvo again. He did like his new sound, but we got too many looks from the serious Swiss!!!!
18th July 2012

An alternative to Jeff?
If Jeff gives up the ghost due to Marcus's mechanical "repairs" this could be an option for Team Free. http://www.carsguide.com.au/blogs-and-stuff/fun-stuff/vw_camper_van_tent
19th July 2012

Hi from the Ropers
Loving the pics guys and the weather looks beautiful wherever you go. Think of me Liss as I continue school runs and housework. Continued fun and safe travels xxxx Hels, Ralph, Brody and Will

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb