Settling In! - Take 2!


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Geneva » Cologny
August 9th 2011
Published: August 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Main Street Avully!Main Street Avully!Main Street Avully!

This was when we were out exploring our town.
The last couple of days we have set out exploring and settling in to our community. We went to the Geneva Canton Office to see if I needed to have any documentation with regards to teaching in Chancy. Nothing, however was required. Afterwards, we discovered the Centre Lancy where we did some grocery shopping. On our way home, Myles fell asleep. This is usually the case when we are driving around, Isabelle or Myles passes out.

Anyways, after we got home, and Myles woke up, we went about exploring our town a little bit more. We discovered some neat walkways, the town library, a little outdoor sporting complex, we learned how to use the card system to wash our clothes, we got our spare tire repaired, we got a membership in a municipal library in the city/town of Lancy. It feels like we have been settling it and just doing the normal everyday routine stuff. I have met more of our neighbours, and one of the neighbours kind of mistook me for Denis, my exchange partner.

We feel blessed to have this chance to participate in an exchange. I will share some pictures of our last couple of days.
Grandfather to Henri Dunant.Grandfather to Henri Dunant.Grandfather to Henri Dunant.

This is a plaque in Avully that says that Henri Colladon, the mayor of Avully welcomed his grandson Henri Dunant here. Henri Dunant was the founder of the Red Cross.
Tomorrow we are on our way to the south-east of France. We look forward to our holidays in France.

Lastly, I must say that we love the people in the Geneva/Avully area. Besides our hairy eyeball experience, we have found people to be extremely helpful and kind. I guess it helps when you have cute kids. Good thing they don't look at me!

I had to publish this same blog a second time because the first time I accidentally published it as a private blog. I sure wish that I had joined the tech committee at our school like Joel. I would have known that the monitor fluid was low.

Jarod


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Fountains!Fountains!
Fountains!

They have quite a few of these drinking fountains all over Avully. You can put your water bottle under the water and enjoy a refreshing drink.
Nutella!Nutella!
Nutella!

Isabelle and Myles have developed quite the liking for Nutella and bread.
Swing!Swing!
Swing!

Isabelle and Myles love playing at all of the parks that are in our complex.
La Plaine.La Plaine.
La Plaine.

This village is across the river valley from us. It is called La Plaine and we will check it out soon. The Jura Mountains are in the background.
Our home/building.Our home/building.
Our home/building.

This is our building from the outside. We are in block 13.
Lancy.Lancy.
Lancy.

This is in the city/town of Lancy after we got our library cards.
Books Galore!Books Galore!
Books Galore!

These are our library cards from the public library in Lancy. They were free and even Isabelle and Myles got a card.


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb