More cheese and some wood!


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » South-West » Engelberg
May 24th 2009
Published: May 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Dairy plays such a large role out here, its crazy! There are whole villages that survive solely off of one or 2 cheese producers. I know the U.S. used to be that way, and there are still a few parts that are, maybe not with cheese but with just one or 2 industries to keep it alive. I guess it shouldnt be though, since Nacogdoches kind of only survives with the SFA and Pilgrims Pride. But anyways back to cheese, its so important to the swiss as well because its dairy which is good for you but will store better. But again just how 1 man in a small village keeps an account with 16 different farmers is crazy to me. That is probably those farmers' biggest account and without this one Aschwanden cheese maker would probably not be able to sustain a living. Lucerne was great, the history, the mix of old and new it was cool to see the clash of the two. I think Lucerne is very accesible to tourists as well. I mean for those who might not know the language getting off the plane In Zurich and finding the right train might be hard but once in Lucerne there are plenty of places to stay and lots to do. The Dying lions cave was absolutely amazing. I've seen it in pictures before and knew it was in Switzerland however i did not know how old it was or that i Would ever see it. My only problem with Lucerne is that in my opinion it is losing alot of its history and old culture in order to compete as a tourist destination. See running a city based on tourism is like running a business and in order to make money you need to cater to what the guests want. Lucerne is doing this very well but at the same time is building manmade foundations on a lake in order to build hotels and what not the way to do this, i'm not sure. If it keeps up though lake Lucerne is going to just get smaller and smaller. Not only does that affect the economy but nature as well. Chapel bridge is amazing though and I do like what Doris said about they are trying to preserve it and keep it protected. By the way i have discovered alplermaggronen and am in love!!!!!!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb