Lake Lucerne


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-West » Lucerne
June 19th 2010
Published: July 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Unfortunately the rain followed us to Lucerne but after we checked into the hostel (can’t afford anything else in Switzerland!) we found a dry spot to watch Aus V Ghana in the world cup. It was a nail biter of a game and we were happy with the draw. It probably would have been a different result if Kewell wasn’t sent off. Oh well.... by the time the game was over it was dry enough to go exploring. Lucerne is really stunning with it’s beautiful lake, medieval buildings and ramparts and the famous Chapel Bridge, water tower and needle dam on the river. There are pretty gruesome (but cool!) “dance of death” paintings from the 17th Century along the Chapel Bridge.

We walked along the old city walls and once we were up high we caught our first glimpse of the Swiss Alps. It took book of our breathes away and we gaped in silence at them for quite a while! We were so glad the clouds had finally cleared. The mountains were quite a moving sight. The photos just don’t do it justice! We wandered through some old city squares with beautiful frescoes on the buildings. Our sightseeing ended at the Lion Monument. The dying lion is carved into the rock and is a memorial to the Swiss mercenaries who died at Tuileries in 1792. The lion has so much expression. It’s a very special monument.

That night we cooked ourselves a nice dinner in the hostel and did some planning for the next few days. Off to Interlaken for some adventure next!



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0773s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb