40 seconds free fall


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-West » Gimmelwald
August 30th 2007
Published: August 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Austria is GREEN!!!Austria is GREEN!!!Austria is GREEN!!!

A stolen shot from the train through Austria.
From a helicopter 16 000 feet above sea level.

Extreme sports are big in Switzerland and also very expensive so we decided to the big one and jumped out of a helicopter at 16 000 feet. It was, needless to say, awesome. Free falling is THE most incredible feeling ever. Nerves on the ground weren't that bad considering but still once we were up in the helicopter - with no door!!! - and turning sideways it got a wee bit scary. In fact, we were kind of glad to be able to get out. It is sooo cold up there. For anyone thinking of doing it - go go go!!!!

And we will be pleased to show you all the (expensive but necessary) DVD when we return home. If we return home that is because Switzerland and in particular Gimmelwald is an extra special place.

We know we raved about Krumlov and we still love it but this is a different kind of beautiful. Gimmelwald is a carless little town perched on the cliff in the middle of mountains at about 1300m. To get here you need to take a very steep gondola ride (cable car). The place
The Lake at LucerneThe Lake at LucerneThe Lake at Lucerne

With a glimpse of the mountains in the back.
is so relaxing, our hostel has a hot tub with the best view ever. You literally walk out the front door and have a coffee in the outside area on the edge of a cliff gazing (not even up just at) the snow topped mountains while listening to cowbells clang in the background. Heaven! It is so peaceful and quiet.

The weather has been so good for us in Switzerland until our second day in Gimmelwald. We narrowly avoided missing out on sky diving altogether due to the weather by about an hour. It was rush rush to get us up there in time. Luckily though, we cannot imagine a better place to enjoy bad weather. You couldn't really see anything outside because of the clouds and if you left the bedroom window open you would wake up to the clouds wafting into your room. Yep that is right folks, clouds in the room!!!

Our hostel was so cosy and a great place to meet people. Everyone was there just to relax and hike. Daniel hiked halfway up the mountain - Schilthorn on a day with almost no visibility and rain. Trish wasn't so brave and has decided
The Lion at LucerneThe Lion at LucerneThe Lion at Lucerne

This statue carved into the face of a rock is in a small garden in Lucerne. It depicts a lion dying with battle wounds and at his head is the Swiss Guard shield. It pays tribute to the Swiss Guard who were hired by Louis XVI to defend his palace during the time of the French Revolution. Mark Twain describes this sculpture as "the most mournful and moving piece of stone in the world." The detail is amazing and the lion's face is full of emotion. It is quite remarkable.
that short legs are definitely NOT built for mountain hiking so piked out early.

We are now in Geneve after leaving Gimmelwald (sadly) early this morning. We only had this afternoon in Geneve before leaving for Nice tomorrow morning (early again - sigh aren't we supposed to be on holidays????). The weather is much warmer in Nice apparently so we will need to acclimatise again.

This blog is particularly short but we figured we would probably just ramble at how beautiful the scenery is and frankly the photos do that for us. Our pics don't really do it justice though but if you pick up a Switzerland calendar - it is EXACTLY like that.

Au revoir (as we are now in the French speaking part of Switzerland rather than the German part.......it is all so confusing)


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

The snow is JUST there!!!!The snow is JUST there!!!!
The snow is JUST there!!!!

The landing ground for all paragliders etc in Interlaken. And look to the right - Jungfrauchjoch is JUST there!!!
When in Switzerland....When in Switzerland....
When in Switzerland....

Eat cheese fondue!!!!
Scene from the trainScene from the train
Scene from the train

On the way up to Jungfrauchjoch. It was a very steep trip up and just a little scary to look back down and see the valley below....
A Glacier!A Glacier!
A Glacier!

Halfway up to Jungfraucjoch.
Trish in the Ice Palace.Trish in the Ice Palace.
Trish in the Ice Palace.

This was our first stop at Jungfraujoch and was SO cold.
LOOK!!!LOOK!!!
LOOK!!!

It is a real igloo!
Us at the Top of EuropeUs at the Top of Europe
Us at the Top of Europe

About 3500m above sea level!
Our hotel in Interlaken.....Our hotel in Interlaken.....
Our hotel in Interlaken.....

Wayyyyyy down there....
We didn't have a flag...We didn't have a flag...
We didn't have a flag...

So we ate Vegemite on the top of Europe instead. Pretty much the same thing don't you think???
View from the HostelView from the Hostel
View from the Hostel

Literally step outside the front door of the Mountain Hostel in Gimmelwald and this is what you will see (provided you don't have your head (literally) in the clouds)!!
The Hot TubThe Hot Tub
The Hot Tub

with the best view ever in hot tub history.
Daniel halfway up SchilthornDaniel halfway up Schilthorn
Daniel halfway up Schilthorn

On a very foggy day.
Real Cows with Real Bells!!!Real Cows with Real Bells!!!
Real Cows with Real Bells!!!

Only in Switzerland!!!


1st September 2007

Worry
When I told you both to have a good time and let me do the worrying I hadn't thought of 40 SECONDS FREE FALL. From now on you can do your own worrying. So very glad I didn't know. Keep on having fun and stay safe.
1st September 2007

Fantastic pictures
Hi Trish and Dan, is great to see your having such a wonderful time over there enjoying yourselves, keep the blogs coming, we all love reading them and seeing all those wonderful pictures, even if it does make us wish we were there too!
1st September 2007

We have it sorted:::
You have figured out the reason you didnt know because we knew you would worry and with all that worrying we might not have done it!!!! xoxoxo
26th February 2008

Scenery
Some very beautiful photography. I hadn't heard of this area before but I'll definitely be adding it to my list of places to see on my journeys! Thanks for sharing your adventures with the rest of us. Krystal

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb