An epic road trip begins.....


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-West » Basel » Aesch
June 15th 2013
Published: June 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Woolly says – Not a good night, Zoe was taken poorly and although it was quite exciting having an ambulance pull up at the tent, it was pretty scary too. While Jo went with Zoe Ian and I waited, we paced the tent, we played guess what time Jo will ring and guess the name of the doctor, we talked sausages and anything else that came to mind. At 6am on Saturday morning Jo let us know that Zoe was comfortable and waiting for some tests, by 1pm we were climbing in Ollie and starting an epic trip home.



The doctors in Italy told us that we could stay there and be seen or head for the UK and be seen there, both options would take 2 days so we set off on our 1788 KM journey.



Woolly says – It seemed like Ollie had wings, he fly down the toll roads, before we knew it we were passing Verona and some of the best scenery we had seen in Italy. Within a few hours and Italy was behind us. I liked Italy although I was a little confused as to where the Romans were, not a single ruin, stone or monument to them anywhere we had been. As we travelled we all agreed that we would have to come back at a later date to see Venice and to seek out the nation that had ruled so much of our world. Ollie’s wheels kept pounding the tarmac as we passed the border into Switzerland. Zoe was snoozing but even she woke for a while to admire the jaw dropping views that we were racing through.



The views are definitely some of the best we have seen, mountains with snow covered peeks, lakes surrounded by the greenest of fields, and chalets dotted around the landscape, we almost expected to see Heidi running down the slopes to the bell ringing cows.



Woolly says – I hadn’t heard of Heidi before so Jo told me about the little girl who was orphaned and sent to live with her Grandfather and the tale of her and Clara. It sounded really good and it had a happy ending which I always like. Because we hadn’t had time to really find out much about Switzerland Ian filled in some gaps for me telling me all about Hannibal and his trek across the Alps. Then I found out that the Swiss are famous for CHOCOLATE. Enough said, it seemed like fate that Ollie needed some juice and that might mean a bar of Swiss chocolate, yum.



While we filled Ollie, Woolly went off on his quest and we decided to take a break and have something to eat. With fuel being 1.99 CHF a litre (approximately £1.37 GBP) and two toasties, two coffees, one coke and one tuna sandwich costing 32.98 CHF (approximately £22.70 GBP), this wasn’t a cheap stop and was definitely the most expensive fuel we had found to date. But fed and watered we carried on.



Woolly says – I liked my bar of chocolate but sorry Swiss people I do think I prefer Cadbury’s! As dusk was setting in we seemed to go through more and more tunnels, long ones and short ones, with glimpses of the mountains we thundered on. Finally at half past nine Jo decided that we needed to stop and let Ian and Ollie have a rest, Ian was all for driving through the night but he was overruled and with Zoe needing to lie comfortably we booked into a F1 Hotel. We had seen loads of this chain on our travels so I was curious as to what they would be like, 32 Euros for all of us (approximately £27.10 GBP) was an amazing price, we got a basic room with showers and toilets on the landing, not bad for a few hours sleep and rest.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



18th June 2013
Amazing Views8

Epic road trips
Nice photo
18th June 2013
Amazing Views8

Why thank you
I thought I looked rather good in it myself!

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb