The Matterhorn


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-East » Zürich
July 17th 2012
Published: July 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After our adventures in Kos we were off to Switzerland. After a night over in Milan, we took the train to Zermatt which is a small ski town at the base of the Matterhorn. If you don't know what the Matterhorn is google it. It is one of the most striking things I have ever seen. Maybe you have ridden the Matterhorn at Disneyland. Let me point out the obvious but there is no comparison. It is truly one of those "holy shit" moments when you see it for the first time. During the train ride to Zermatt our jaws were dropped just looking at the surrounding Alps. They literally felt as if they were going to fall on top of you. Almost engulf you. But when you get that first view of the Matterhorn itself....It leaves you speechless. We spent the better part of an hour just staring at it. You think it would be out of the next avatar movie or something. After our initial shock we checked into our hostel and began to explore. The town is very small and quiet. Reminded me of a miniature Tahoe. After a relaxing first day the next day was when the adventures really started. There are a few ways to get up and down the mountain. (you can't actually go up the Matterhorn obviously but you can get closer by going up surrounding ones). A lot of people just take the gondola up and down but not us......we chose to razor down it. Now a razor is a scooter essentially. I am sure everyone remembers them from when we were kids. Two wheels and handle bars. Now the Matterhorn version of a scooter was basically on steroids. The tires were big and wide and ment for off roading. After riding the gondola up to about 8200 feet we were ready to ride. It was quite the rush. Down hill, loose gravel, going preeeeeetty fast at times. It was definitely the coolest way to get down the mountain. Now when people say "yea ive ridden the matterhorn" i can say "i have ridden the REAL one." After turning in our badass scooters and a quick bite to eat we were off to Zurich.

Ok all caught up! We are in Zurich until tomorrow then it is off to Munich for some real beer drinking. We have met up with Matt's friend Lindsey from Colorado. Let's see if she can keep up with our shenanigans..........

Advertisement



Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.165s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb