Scootering round Lake Lucerne to Schwyz


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-East » Vitznau
June 20th 2018
Published: June 21st 2018
Edit Blog Post

Scooter day today so went left from the campsite along the lake towards Brunnen. We went that way as it was the way we had intended to arrive but accidentally came in the other way round the lake. Also Bob had discovered an interesting place to visit at the end of that bit of lake, Schwyz, which is the originating town of the Canton and where Switzerland got its name.

Lovely day but we were initially scootering along the lake, a little up from the edge and under the shelter of the rocky base of Mount Rigi. It was really chilly and Bob had to stop to put his sweater on. Much better later as we dropped back down to the lakeside and got into the sun again. A pretty drive, this is such a lovely lake. Impossible to work out its shape, it has so many little bits coming off in all directions as it winds through the mountains which surround it.

We stopped for a few photo opportunities along the lake but didn't stop at Brunnen which looked busy but not especially interesting, so went straight on to Schwyz. This little town has some gorgeous buildings and we had a lovely wander round.

The church is enormous, with a soaring roof but of special interest in its grounds were two little chapels. One is just that with some ornate decorations. The other was odd to say the least on first sight and even odder when we realised exactly what it was. A chapel of rest containing two coffins and one was occupied by a recently deceased, only 4 days before. I looked down into the window left open in the top and was rather astonished to be confronted by the head and shoulders of a corpse all dressed up in his Sunday best. Oops. Beat a hasty retreat.

We stopped for lunch in a little courtyard and shared a pizza. Chef was Italian and it showed in the cooking. Delicious.

We had to scooter back the way we had come along the lake side as the only other options were all, the very long way, round the lake or over Mount Rigi.

Carried on 5km past the campsite and to Weggis, next town along from Vitznau. This is the main lakeside resort of this part of the lake and much bigger and busier. We had icecream and watched a few boats come and go then back to the campsite for a cool down in the lovely pool. Weather is getting hotter and hotter and is forecast to change tomorrow with rain forecast.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb