Fireworks in the Night


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-East » Schaffhausen
August 6th 2011
Published: August 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Swiss National Bike Route 2Swiss National Bike Route 2Swiss National Bike Route 2

The Rhein Route, Swiss National Bike Route 2, Goes from Andermatt to Basel following the Rhien River,
Though Switzerland is a land-locked country, we sure could not tell that yesterday as we were camped right on the
Bodensee in Konstanz, Germany, across from Kreuzlingen , Switzerland. We watched people wind surfing, fishing, and sailing in the lake as we walked along the shore.

As planned, we took the day off from bike touring. Instead, we biked just five kms. into Konstanz where we spent several pleasant hours wandering the streets, purchasing a few small articles and a donerbox (a shaved meat with french fries, smothered in a cucumber sauce) for lunch. Then we biked back to the campground, took a nap, did some bike maintenance, and played cards.

Just as we were ready to hit the sack, the thunder and lightening began. I ran back from restroom, after brushing my teeth, reaching the tent just as the hard rain hit. The fireworks of the storm lasted for about an hour, dumping lots of rain and keeping us awake, but dry inside the tent.

We awoke this morning to clouds, which soon cleared as we headed west toward Schaffhausen. And here's the big news -- we did not get lost, not even misplaced, not even once. The route was well marked and generally flat with an occasional foray onto a gravel path and a short, steep hill here and there.

We arrived in Schaffhausen arund 12:30, ate a sandwich on a bench, wandered the downtown streets and then headed to our Warm Showers host, a young couple -- Annite (from Finland) and Selma (from Switzerland). Right now, we are feeling good -- showered, hot tea, and access to the Internet.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0329s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb