St Gallen - Bodensee (Lake Constance)


Advertisement
Switzerland's flag
Europe » Switzerland » North-East » Sankt Gallen
July 2nd 2011
Published: July 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Walking along Lake ConstanceWalking along Lake ConstanceWalking along Lake Constance

Us, on the path along the Bodensee shoreline
We headed off by car across the beautiful rolling rural countryside of the St Gallen Canton and on into the Canton of Thurgau to the Bodensee (Lake Constance). The back country roads pass through orchards of cherries, apples, pears, occasionally grapes, dairy farms and grain crops. There are many trees dotting the landscape and areas of forest. I think that is one of the things that strikes you about this country and others around - they value their small forests and trees and it makes the countryside so attractive. We, on the other hand see farmland as an area to clear and make every part available for grass. Fortunately we have large areas locked up into National Parks and Forest Parks for the future.

On reaching the lake we parked at Uttwil and headed off to walk along the lake towards Constance. It is a lovely place to walk with views across the lake to Germany. We passed through smallish villages, campsites, holiday homes, modern lake front homes, trees, water rushes, and boat piers. The paths have been split off for cyclists and roller bladers so walkers can walk quite happily without bikes coming from each direction. We saw many
Lake ConstanceLake ConstanceLake Constance

View of the Bodensee
cyclists and it looks like a great place for biking. Perhaps we will continue to keep in mind our "possible return" to bike this lake and the Rhine Valley.

We returned back to the car by train and to the house for a sit in the sun followed by a Swiss style BBQ, and of course much talking. We viewed B & G photos of Iceland which appears to be a very different and interesting place to visit for a holiday. It is wild and raw, with fiords, glaciers, volcanoes, geysers, hot pools, lava fields, waterfalls, and sparsely populated farms. A place to see the creation of new land. In many respects it is like New Zealand with it's rifting, volcanoes, geysers, geothermal heating and power etc. They both sit on Plate boundares so have similar geology.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb