30 Jul - 1 Aug 2019 DAYS 4-6 Malmo / Gothenburg Sweden


Advertisement
Published: August 1st 2019
Edit Blog Post

Spent the morning wandering around Copenhagen before a 1 hr train trip to Malmo. The line is a combined road/rail link via an 8 km Oresund Bridge that partly spans the strait separating Denmark and the Scandinavian Peninsula. The link then descends a further 4 km by tunnel to reach Sweden’s 3rd city. Unfortunately the spectacular above ground look of the bridge is completely unseen from the train deck below.

After a brief wander around the cobbled Old Town streets of Malmo its was back to the train station & a 3 hr trip to Gothenburg & a 3 night stay at the Le Mat B&B.

The bridge has spurred a tremendous revival of Malmo from an industrial economy to a service economy dominated by IT & education whilst Gothenburg has prospered by retaining its traditional reliance on the Volvo factory.

Next day was much cooler & started with an orientation walk around the city and its main attractions - the town square, home to world class Art facilities, the Skansen Kronan fortress and the historic Haga quarter, with its picturesque wooden houses, cobbled streets and trendy shops.

Later we took a Paddan boat tour through the
Apoteket LejonetApoteket LejonetApoteket Lejonet

Melmo’s oldest pharmacy (still in business) with exquisite art-nouveau interior, carved wooden shelves, antique medicine bottles and a glass-plated ceiling.
city’s moats, canals and harbour. The Paddan boat is a flat bottom boat able to pass under the many very low bridges across the canals and gives a different impression of the main landmarks - the opera house, the Feskekörka fish market and the old docks.

Day 3 in Gothenburg was memorable, starting with an early ferry to Vrango Island & kayaking around its pristine coastline & rocky outcrops that are home to many protected bird species. The conditions were perfect with a sunny day & calm waters.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Turning Torso Turning Torso
Turning Torso

A neo-futurist residential skyscraper
Poseidon, the God Poseidon, the God
Poseidon, the God

looking towards the sea Gothenburg


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb