09/15/2009 - Stockholm, Sweden


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County » Stockholm
September 15th 2009
Published: September 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Cruising through the Swedish canals 46 secs

1 additional video(s) currently being processed
Took a boat to the Royal Palace to see the changing of the guard, but we had a wonderful surprise and an experience of a lifetime. We saw a simple changing of the guard - not the usual pomp & circumstance show and watched as King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia, their children Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine walked to the opening day of parliament. What a lovely family. Secret service everywhere with those little earbuds, walkie talkies and guns were around them - just like here with our President and his family. We met a lovely woman from Sweden who had taken her son to see the guard ceremony and she was pleasantly surprised to learn the King & Queen would be coming out. She has only seen them 3 times in her life. Just think, how many times have you been near our President? Probably not many, if at all! Then we got back on the boat and went to Skansen, which is an open air museum with old structures that have been moved to Skansen such as homes, schools, farms & churches from all parts of Sweden. Then we tried to get back on the boat to go back to the ship. Well, it was a different boat than we had been on and that captain would not allow us to put Roger’s electric scooter on the boat. So Roxie and I went ahead and Judy called a cab for them to get back to the ship with the scooter. Worked out ok as they got a mini guided tour of the city. Went to dinner and Judy and I went to the Motorcity show. Very good- old Motown songs.


Additional photos below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Sweden's Royal FamilySweden's Royal Family
Sweden's Royal Family

King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia. Crown Princess Victoria (future Queen), Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine.
SkansenSkansen
Skansen

Over the years about 150 historical buildings have been moved here from nearly every part of Sweden. Most of them date from the 18th and 19th centuries. Visitors to the houses and farmsteads are met by historical interpreters in period costume. They often demonstrate domestic occupations, such as weaving and spinning.


23rd September 2009

awesome
I am happy you enjoyed your time in Poland!!!

Tot: 0.228s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb