Sweden catch up


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County » Stockholm
May 4th 2008
Published: May 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ok, so very behind....
Sweden for nearly 2 weeks... so well make it dot points (and I cant find the apostrophe on this keyboard, so apologies for bad punctuation).
1) Fredrik (Lottas partner) submitted his PhD and had his public thesis defence a couple of days after we arrived and it was unbelievable - 4 professors from different countries grilled him on his work (to do with maths and physics and optimization and radiotherapy - after that I get a bit vague on the details). Anyhow, he shone, Im glad I dont have to do one, and we had a great party in a sort of cellar afterwards, followed by lots of wine-induced dancing.
2) Had a thorough exploration of Stockholm in the sunshine, including a couple of boat cruises, a 400 year old boat, a trip out to an outer archipelago island, which was a bit quiet (we apparently arrived 1 day before tourist season started) but fabulous, rode bikes to the far end of the island to discover an excellent beach where we fell asleep in the sun.
3) discovered guitar hero. (!)
4) Discovered the Swedish tradition of Valborg, May Day Eve, which involves a big bonfire in
The VasaThe VasaThe Vasa

Sat at the bottom of Stockholm harbour for nearly 400 years!!
each town, and, apparently, an awful lot of wine, more dancing and karaoke!
5) A trip into the countryside for amazing home-cooked reindeer and other excellent treats prepared by Lottas mum. We then went horse riding and it was a debacle. But definitely filed under experience!
6) Brunch cruise and a fabulous dinnner on our last day followed by very sad goodbyes, and for Simon and I, a 4am start to get to Gothenburg for me to have a presentation and meeting with an amazing research group. That went exceptionally well then we jumped a train for Copenhagen the same day...


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb