We made it to Sweden!


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County » Stockholm
April 27th 2008
Published: April 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

more than meets the eyemore than meets the eyemore than meets the eye

The changing of the guard in Stockholm passed us as we waited for a boat. Then havoc broke out as one of the horses fell and threw its rider. If you zoom in in this photo you'll see that Simon actually caught the moment just before the guy hit the ground
So... sorry about the last few countires, and sorry also that this one might be a bit longer than I usually aim for.

From Amsterdam we flew to Finland, where we promptly got on a boat to Tallinn in Estonia. It was really excellent, it has a mind-boggling old town and slightly better prices than Finland and Scandinavia! I'll try to attach a few photos of it. We had wine in an underground tunnel, some sort of local liqueur in a cave-cafe and generally soaked up the oldness.

Boat back to Helsinki and a quiet night, followed by a day of exploring and an evening of drinks in very high-up bars. Helsinki was... there. My theory at the moment is that it might be a bit like Melbourne, you need a while there or a local to really get the hang of it. Nothing bad about it, just nothing exciting either (ooh, except for salmon soup in the fish market! Heaps better than it sounds).

From Helsinki we jumped on a train to Turku, another very old city, which was the capital of Finland when it was ruled by Sweden. It was heaps of fun and we enjoyed a ridiculous viking-feast in the best theme-restaurant I've ever come across. All our food was served on shields!! After a day of exploring the castle and wandering along the river in the sunshine, we got on the overnight boat to Stockholm, to have another enormous feast (with wine on tap!) and a surprisingly good night's sleep. We decided to largely steer clear of the partying after a brief attempt at dancing had us nearly decapitated by crazy old people's elbows.

Which brings us to Stockholm, where we are now. Perhaps I should make that a new entry.... I'll seeif I can get some pics up. Hope you're all well and please write to me!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 46; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb