Last day on Stockholm


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County » Stockholm
August 25th 2023
Published: August 25th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Last day in Stockholm - if you don’t count going to the airport tomorrow.

Did the city hall today. Massive building with big and small areas, old and new and very different architecture throughout the whole building. Worth the wait to see.

Then onto the hop on hop off bus. Did most of the lap but got off at the Vasa museum where they have the 1627 Viking ship housed. Built to fight the Danes, the king had to have the biggest and best. He wanted 2 decks of cannons. Problem was this made the ship top heavy. On its maiden voyage it sailed 1300 meters and got a gust of wind which proceeded to fill the ship with water through the gun holes.

Sank with 20 or 30 killed. Not a great start. They eventually found the wreck in 1956. Raised it in 1958 and started the restoration process. It was raised nearly whole so it is now the oldest near complete vessel to be salvaged.

Huge ship that stood over 7 stories high. Just had a very narrow beam which wasn’t conducive to top heavy sailing.

Then we went to the ABBA museum. Lots of old music, video clips, costumes and history of where, how and how well they were formed and performed.

A bit crazy in there but got out into the fresh air again and back on the bus. This time heading for the Östermalms food hall. Lots of little food stalls with fish, meat and deli stuff. Had a wine and back out. It had started drizzling rain. Got the bus back to the hotel.

Final packing before we head off tomorrow morning to the airport.

Been a busy time but extremely interesting with some fantastic sights encountered along the way.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.351s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0982s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb