On the way home


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Stockholm County » Arlanda
August 26th 2023
Published: August 27th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Checked out of our last hotel room for the holiday. Breakfast at this hotel has been one of the better spreads I have to say. Can’t say I won’t miss packing, unpacking, finding the new hotel or putting up with carrying heavy bags up stairs where there is no lift.

We decided to catch the express train to the airport seeing as how it leaves from the station about 50 meters away from the hotel. Got tickets but just missed a train. Never mind. Another one in 19 minutes. Asked the driver what was the best position for terminal 5. Middle carriage stops right at the lifts.

Get our seats and all of a sudden the driver pops his head in and tells us that terminal 5 is the second stop. Nice service.

By express they mean no stops and bloody quick. Got up to cruising speed of 185kmh. Then we stopped in the middle on nowhere. Busy line and had to wait for the green signal. Eventually into the second stop at T5. And spot on. Our carriage stopped right at the lifts. And only about 25 minutes - meant to be 18.

Up to the departure floor and find our check in location. No one in the queue, bags in and instructions of where to go and how long it will take to get from the lounge to the gate via customs checking.

Did some shopping then found the lounge. SAS lounge which has 2 areas, Gold and standard. Tried the gold but red light. Man at the gate says we are in standard. And standard it was. Busy but by the time we walked out there was almost standing room only. Some food, no bubbles and tired furniture. Guess it was better than sitting at the gate though.

Through customs quickly then to the gate. Stand there and start chatting to a lady with a Coles shopping bag - give away that she is an Aussie. She is of Thai origin, but lives in Sydney. She is having a 3 week stopover to catch up with her family after visiting her son, daughter in law and 10 week old daughter in Stockholm. We chat until the gate opens then walk together to our seats. She is one seat back from us.

Ask for a champagne but not allowed to serve alcohol on the ground in Sweden. Ok. Then we wait. Told air traffic is bad and we have at least a 10 minute wait. Eventually leave about 30 minutes late.

Once in the air, champagne arrives. We toast a great holiday and settle in for the 11 hour flight.

Get some sleep and start my book about the IKEA boss. Interesting read.

Now for our stopover which is now less than expected.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb