Sweden - visit and cycle


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Skåne County
August 3rd 2003
Published: August 3rd 2003
Edit Blog Post

Oresund BridgeOresund BridgeOresund Bridge

Bridge joining Denmark and Sweden
What am I doing now? This is trip is the first step on my next adventure - teaching English in China.
First of all, I visited the Skane area of Sweden, as my longtime friend was in the sailing and had arrived before me.

I spent the first day catching up on jet lag, unpacking and then going to the sailing site to meet Robert. As you may know, he was sailing in the 43rd World Snipe Sailing Championships in Landskrona, Sweden. Landskrona is just across the Oresund from Copenhagen and only 1.5 hours by direct train from the airport and is very easy to get to. The European train system is amazing.
Once you have been in Sweden a few days, it also fairly easy to read their menus - thank goodness.
There is a bridge that connects the 2 countries.


Landskrona is a city about the size of Barrie but more industrial on its outskirts ¨C clean industry, though. The city centre, where we stayed, was quite old, mostly medieval with its fortress being built sometime around the 13th century. The castle originally had 7 moats around it but now there are only 2. Outside the
AllotmentsAllotmentsAllotments

These allotments are some plots of land used by the Swedes as summer cottages and gardens.
moats, the Swedes have been granted ¡°allotments¡±. These are small tracts of land on which to make a garden but most have a small summer cottage on them, as well as the garden. Those around the fortress are the oldest in Sweden.
The buildings are very typical of Swedish summer homes ¨C wooden, bright colours and lots of flowers.



Robert was sailing from the Sailing Club in the small fishing village just north of Landskrona, called Borstahusen. Each day, we took the local bus there and back ¨C about $2.50, as opposed to renting a car or taking a taxi.





Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Lady WaitingLady Waiting
Lady Waiting

The Swedes love their statues. This one is waiting for her fisherman husband and is just along the side of the road overlooking the coast near Landskrona.
SailingSailing
Sailing

BAH - Robert in his Snipe relaxing between races
Old StyleOld Style
Old Style

The area around Landskrona still has a few old windmills left. I discovered this one while cycling - an activity that I did each afternoon that Robert was sailing. I managed about 40 km. each time - long enough for exercise and short enough to take many photos and talk with anyone whom I met.


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb