Across another big bridge


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Kalmar County » Kalmar
August 22nd 2023
Published: August 23rd 2023
Edit Blog Post

Another day in the Kalmar area. Today we crossed the bridge from mainland Sweden to Oland. Reasonable sized island massive sized bridge - about 6 km long.

It is relatively flat until the middle section where it rises reasonably steeply to allow shipping underneath.

The island is famous for its old windmills. They dot the island everywhere. We stopped at one large windmill which has sort of been turned into a museum. You climb the old timber stairs up 5 levels. The original mechanisms are still in place. The engineering from back in the 1800’s is amazing.

We then went on some back roads and along the waterfront. Narrow roads and in some cases dirt. Nice distraction from the main roads we had been traveling earlier. Many interesting things along the way. Our ultimate goal was to a ceramic workshop where the potter does a Japanese style of pottery. The pots end up wrapped in newspapers after the initial firing in the kiln. They are then put into a barrel and burnt with real fire. When removed the results are fantastic. Didn’t buy any. Too hard to bring home and just a little expensive - some at $1000 AUD.

Back towards Kalmar and stopped at a cafe for a bite to eat. Very busy shop with nice snacks. And ice cream. Very pleasant stop. Got back to the bridge and decided to go south for a bit of a look. Not much to see but when we got back again we decided we might eat at a place near the bridge.

As we were getting out of the car a fire dept car pulled in followed by 3 fire trucks and another fire dept car. No lights or sirens but the went out on the pier. Walked up for a sticky beak, as you do.

Boat upside down in the water. Firie on a paddle board dragging what looked like a guy back to the jetty. A good second look showed the guy was a dummy. Training exercise that did look real. Giveaway was the way the dummy’s were dressed and the lack of urgency by all of the firies around the scene.

There were fire boats, jet skis and just lots of people involved. Bit of excitement for the night. And to boot, there were no restaurants open so back across the bridge to Kalmar. Found a nice Italian place and had dinner there.

Back to the room and sat on the deck with a red wine. Very relaxing and the bugs didn’t bite.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb