Visby and Gotland - Part II


Advertisement
Sweden's flag
Europe » Sweden » Gotland County » Visby
July 12th 2007
Published: July 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0



Untitled Hey, sorry it's taken a while, but class has picked up a little and we have a 10 page paper due Friday, so finding time to blog has been tricky. As promised, more about Visby and Gotland ...

I have over 100 pictures from this outing - I'm not posting all of them, but I have posted about 50, so you might have to hit next at the bottom to fully enjoy the pictoral splendor.

As I've said before, Visby is absolutely beautiful. It is one of the oldest cities in Sweden because of its strategic location along several trading routes. To get there, we took a bus, 2 trains, and a ferry. We were on the island for a total of 5 days, staying in a youth hostel about a mile outside of the walls of the city.

Most of the original walls are still standing around the old part of the city. We took some time to walk around the exterior of the wall and scetch/take pictures. We even got to do a bit of climbing!

The city is right on the Baltic, so there are some gorgeous ocean view and a cute marina. Someone asked me to take pictures of boats ...

As with any city we've visited on this trip, there were old churches. The coolest one, in my opinion, was St. Lars. It is very large and alot of the old structure is still functional, making it into a holy playground of sorts. We all had fun running around inside the walls and popping out in different places.

We took a day to visit Viking Village - a historical renactment thing. I made bread and a leather pouch, shot arrows, and threw axes. Some other people tried their hand at black smithing, wood carving, and yarn-making. It was really fun and the people working there put up with our shenanigans very well.

All in all it was a great outing, but after a week in the hostel with a comunal shower, we were all very excited to get back to our double-occupancy rooms at the Folkhögskola.


Additional photos below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.294s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 15; qc: 32; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb