Finisterre


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
June 30th 2015
Published: July 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday (6/25/15) we booked a tour to Finisterre at our hotel desk. Mike imagined a large tour bus filled with old ladies and smelly perfume. We are pleasantly surprised that a touring van with 8 eight seats arrived. Oscar, our tour guide spoke English, Spanish and French. In our van were 3 ladies from Spain, 3 ladies from Boston who had just completed there 2nd camino and us. The weather was a bit overcast and as we drove closer to the coast a fog set in. Our first stop was in a small coastal town, Muxia, that recently had its cathedral demolished by a large wave that came ashore in 2014. This town was also the site of a very large oil spill in 2002. The coast is named " Costa de Morte" or coast of death because of many lives it has taken. Next we stopped at the light house in Finisterre. The Camino de Sanitago way marker reads 0 km in front of the light house. Here is where pilgrims traditionally have burned an item of clothing to commemorate their journey. Along the rocks above the shore line you can see the many places pilgrims have burned their belongings.
A FeridaA FeridaA Ferida

Tribute to volunteers who helped clean up after the oil spill
There are two memorials, a pair of boots on top of a rock and a stone cross. After spending some time reflecting on my journey, my thoughts turned to the thousands of pilgrims who have also stood at the "end of the world". It gave me goose bumps thinking of all those who have stood there before me. Looking out into the ocean feeling joy over the accomplishment and a little sadness that it has come to an end. Driving along the coast line, the sun began to peer through the clouds. Our next stop was the waterfalls of Ezaro, located at the foot of Mount Pindo. They are the largest river feeding waterfalls that empty into the Atlantic Ocean. Finally we stopped for lunch at a restaurant along the ocean. We were treated to delicious "Hake" a white fish. Along with bottles of red/white wine and dessert. The last parts of our tour took us to a very large grain storage, through the wind farms to a look out above the coast and a small town outside Santiago named "Puente". We arrived back at our hotel in time to go to the Pilgrims mass at the Cathedral.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

0 km way marker0 km way marker
0 km way marker

Lighthouse in the background
Memorial to the PilgrimsMemorial to the Pilgrims
Memorial to the Pilgrims

Atlantic Ocean in the background
Lira's granary Lira's granary
Lira's granary

Largest granary in Galica, completed in 1814.


8th July 2015

Finisterre is such a special place
I love going there even though I haven't completed the Camino. I think it's nicer when the weather is overcast I think because it feels more "Galician", although you can't see so far into the ocean. What I like the most is how tranquil is feels, even though lots of people go there every day!
8th July 2015

SO INCREDIBLY AWESOME!!
SO INCREDIBLY AWESOME!!

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb