Viva Espana!


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
July 25th 2010
Published: August 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

In honour of our achievement and the country that had just won the world cup, we spent a full day in La Coruna. This felt all very well deserved. We spent time wandering around the town soaking up the atmosphere exploring its different facades of city and beaches. There was an amazing moon rise of the moon looking blood red. I’m afraid I didn’t manage to take a photo of it, so you’ll have to take our word for it.

We also just happened to be there on the Galicean festival weekend, so after a hearty meal we went to check out the folk bands of bagpipes and north African drums playing. It was plain to see the Arabic influence at the fayre and the dress of the drummers and dancers.

On the Sunday morning we decided to make tracks. The Cabo Finisterre was going to another potentially challenging passage and with a forecast that told us that the wind was only going to get stronger over the next couple of days, we wanted to get there sooner rather than later.

We made a steady passage across to Ria de Camarinas, with fine force 5 NE winds and clear blue skies. The winds accelerated as we entered the Ria And we weren’t sure if this was going to be difficult to find some shelter from the strong winds. We were waved onto a space on the pontoon of the small marina managed by a local yacht club. Everyone was very welcoming and the people of the neighbouring yacht came out to help us moor up. They were a dutch couple waiting for the strong northerly winds to subside before making the passage home. This was a beautiful Ria and gave us a small taste of what we would find further south once we passed the Finisterre.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.273s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0901s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb