Camino - The Colour Spain


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
June 17th 2010
Published: June 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Panorama The Canola Fields

Spain and her people are beautiful. Walking the Camino in Spring, I think, is the best time to do it. Everything is green at first and then come the flowers. All colours, but mostly yellow, purple and red. In and after Ponferrada, it's roses, everywhere you look, vines of roses climbing the walls, gardens and parks.

The people are relaxed and always friendly. Always quick with an hola or Buenas dias. Some people look like they haven't smiled in many years but just a smile first always gets a wonderful response. They will dance anywhere as long as there are others to clap the rhythm or sing. A wonderful freedom and love of life.

I feel extremely comfortable here. The history, the culture, the life is contagious. Everything is tranquilo. In the cities its about the same as anywhere but in the country, stores open at 10:00, Lunch at 2 or 3, dinner as early as 9 or could go later until midnight. Some fiestas don't start until after midnight. Some fiestas are on a hill top overlooking a village. In most places, stores will close at 2 and re-open at 5. A 3 hour lunch! What a lifestyle!

The hospitality of the spanish is incredible. I'm now staying in Madrid with a woman I met on the camino and her family. In Logrono, I was welcomed into the home of Steve and Ana, and their 5 children. They are all such beautiful people.

It's a bit sad that I have to leave Spain as my EU visa time is almost up. So I'll be heading to Morocco on Saturday 19th June and then perhaps to UK again afterwards to fill in the time before I can enter EU again. What a game they play here but they are tightening all borders in EU because of the economic 'crisis'. You'd think they would want tourist money.

Most of the pictures are of scenery and there are a few of the colourful people I've met.

Next blog - Camino - Love like you've never been hurt.



Additional photos below
Photos: 75, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.346s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 19; qc: 84; dbt: 0.067s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb