Half Way There...


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain
July 14th 2008
Published: July 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We have reached the halfway mark (so says the guide book) its comforting to know that It now will be quicker to continue on to Santiago then return to St-Jean! I will continue our journey in order starting from where I left off:

So we left the villiage around 7:30 after a good night sleep (no snorers). The next villiage we arrived at was Espinosa del Camino which was the Villiage that I though we were staying in the night before which was slightly confusing! We continued on through the corn fields to Villafracce, a small town in the foothills of what seemed to be more mountains, and a busy stop for lorries on there way from burgos. Had breakfast there, the usual Cafe Latte but then had to wait a while for the bakery to open - which it never did as the owner turned up then told us that it would ot open today. SO hunrgy we pleaded with the bar owner to let us buy a few loafs of him, he allowed us and we had our breakfast. Heaed off over the mountain - through a forest which was a great change to the hot corn fields that we had been walking through for the last few days. Because we had shade amd a long break for breakfast we walked solidly for 12km through the forest (passing all the spanish that had left at 6 in the morning which was very satisfying!) We stopped at San Juan which is an old Monestery with a bar next to it, build for the pilgrims. We had out lunch - consisting of bagguetts and some sort of meat, finished with an ice cream from the bar. Walking on Benoit decided that he wanted a cesta and would follow us later, so not wanting to stop the rest of us continued until we found a good place to wait for him. We stopped by a stream and decided to go walking in the stream, which we did and stipping off our tops set about building a set of complex dams and locks waiting for Benoit to appear (this was mainly lead by Lewis who was reliving his childhood) . He did an hour later complaining that he had been woken ruidly by some Spaniads but he soon stoped complining and joined in damming the river. Having been burnt on the back we continued another kilometer to Atapuercia where we stayed the night. Had a good meal and had a good converstation as the bar with the American who told us all about america and how the schooling system works, politics and his views, he is a teacher and doing the Camino for the 7th time and was great fun. We then enjoyed the pizza that the Brits gave us, I beat Benoit and Chris at Chess then we turned in for bed.

Woke up at 7ish after the worst nights sleep ever. We were staying in these small 6 bed roomsm so it was just lewis and I with these 4 Italians (who I am sitting next to know so I hope they cant read English...) this one fat person snored the whole night and It was so loawd! 3 out of the 4 snored it was awfull definatly the worst night sleep so far. Had a great breakfast in the local Bakery a huge chocolate crossant and a coffee which set us up for the rest of the day. We then walked the 10km to the edge of Burgos an dcaught the bus as we where advised to do the night before - skipping the ugly industrial area of Burgos. So we arrived in the center of Burgos and promtly managed to get lost and having to retrace our steps to the amazing cathedral where we were cornered by some excited American teachers who then all took out their cameras and began taken videos and pictues of us, after our first interview (which is probably on youtube now) we found the yellow arrows which had been guiding us so well so far. Found a supermarket where we bought more supplies...bagguettes and meat again. Finally after getting lost twice more, Playing on swings for a bit we managed to walk the final 10km to Rebe de Cascatalles. FOund this refuge where this grumpy old woman told us that to stay in her refure it would cost us 20 euros, once she established that we could not afford her prices she told us the next refuge was 8km away. Not feeling greatr we walked around the corner and found a refuge for 4 euros, and wondered why the woman had tried to send us off 8km further! The refuge was not great, unclean but not too bad as we where all in the same room with no one else. Decided to have the pilgrims menu which was great, a pasta soup, then salad with chicken and pasta then a yogert to finish, all as much as you wanted for 6 euros - great value. Soon turned into bed.

Was woken us by Benoit later on who had been sick, something in the meal we had earlier did not agree with him, after this incedent I managed to get some sleep. We woke up at around 7iish and walked for 3km before stopping at a picnic place to have our breakfast (the usuall) then walking quickly through the corn fields to avoid teh rain that was catching up with us. We managed to avoid the rain, and walked on. Had lunck in this patch if trees where there was this fountain where if you washed your feet you would have no more problems in your feet during the Camino. After lunch everyones feet seemed to hurt more than usual (especially Lewis who has developed some sort of problem with his heel now..) We continued on through the Corn fields on this road that seemed to continue for ages. Found a ruined hospital for pilrims which happed to have a coke machine so we had a mcuh wanted break and then continued on to Castorjeriz, where we stayed the night. We stayed in a great place, a refuge (donation) but with this lovely english lady running it. Was a great town and we spalshed out in the supermarket and had a great evening meal...it still included baguettes though! The refuge for some reason was half empty and so had a great nights sleep.

The next day walked through the unending cornfields to Poblacion de Campos where we stayed in an old school witht he Italains again so needless to say we didnt have a great nights sleep! The refuge before gave us a great breakast before sending us off up this hill, which is the last untill after Leon. Now the ground is flat all the way to the horrizon. We had a good night at Poblacion apart from being visited by a crazy women who was drunk or just crazy and stated shouting at us...which was quite amusing and a little scary. Had a good nights sleep then today, was awfull. It was one of the hottest days that we ahve ever had on to flats through the corn fields and we had an 18km streach with no water or shade, so when we arrived in Cazadilla de al Cueza (where I am now) and we saw the reufuge with a pool it was hevean. We had a long swim and now we are in the bar with the American I mentioned earlier. He is great fun and we have been talking about everything for about 3 hours. We are about to go off and have our supper - baguettes again!! We think we will be in Leon in 3 days time and so will update you then.

Sorry about any spelling mistakes Jeni!





Advertisement



14th July 2008

bravo les petits gars
nous sommes tres impressionnes par vos perigrinations santiagiennes. a delight to discover this blog and to get some news. thanks to henry for his lively account. hope for a better foot for lewis. love to you all. bon courage robert et mariechristine
15th July 2008

well done boys!
You doing better than i thought benoit! Hope you're coping all right. Bon courage à tous, Ramène moi une carte postale, See you, Your BIG sister

Tot: 0.351s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb