Southern Spain


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Valencian Community » Alicante
November 1st 2009
Published: November 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

We have arrived in South Eastern Spain, a little resort town of Torreveija, south of Alicante, which is south of Valencia. We departed Figueres and drove 4 hours to Valencia...we survived a tire blow out on the super highway. Not alot different about changing a tire in Spanish than in English. The drive is very nice and bordered by mountains, orchards, and the sea. We decided to visit Valencia for a couple of days before hitting the resort for a week. Valencia is the orange growing area of Spain and the city is surrounded by groves of orange trees! You know you are in orange country when the trees on the city boulevards are orange trees!

We have to pass on our most sincere appreciation to Ingrid, Youssef, and their children for allowing us to stay and use their weekend home in AP for two weeks. We thoroughly enjoyed our time there and meeting the entire family and Nadine very much enjoyed reconnecting with Ingrid.

We enjoyed Valencia and thought it was a nice city for what little we saw. Some really great architecture in its Science Centre, Aquarium, Theatre, and Palais du Musique. There was also terrific buildings
Valencia architectureValencia architectureValencia architecture

Under construction...not sure what it is.
downtown. We searched for quite a period to find a hotel that had a room that can fit 5 people...but had no luck, so we had to get 2 rooms...I understand this is common throughout Europe. We are really happy that we have been able to find apartments for our accommodations...it would be very expensive otherwise.

We finally ran into some fairly hairy driving in Valencia. Some very large traffic circles exist here that are 3-4 lanes wide and 5 roads merging into them. Curiously, as you enter the circles, you notice that the lines on the road disappear and it is a free-for-all! So getting in and getting out is a matter of avoiding an accident. Interestingly...these traffic circles also come with traffic lights...which is weird, but which we were also thankful for.

We made it to Alicante and the resort on Monday, October 26. The accommodations are very good, but activities are limited to a pool and the beach...which is a five minute walk. The temperatures have been 25 degrees all week...perfect for a week filled with water...either chlorinated or salt... and sand.

I have seen the future and it is not pretty! The town
Valencia architectureValencia architectureValencia architecture

Science centre
of Torreveija seems to be a retirement resort community. My first day here I was walking along the beach and it was very busy for a Tuesday midday as it was packed with seniors... and they were baring WAY too much skin! It seems the daily routine for the seniors is to hit the beach enmass by 11 AM, socialize for half the day and head back home at 2 or 3 PM. The beaches look much younger in the mid-afternoon.

We obtained some inexpensive snorkelling gear and got in the water with it a few times. Part of the coastline close to us is some rocky cliffs. It looks like these cliffs are lava rock. Alex and I managed to climb down one cliff area where there was crystal claer waters in a quiet cove and went for a short snorkel run. It was very nice! We saw lots of fish, some jellytfish, and a crab. One thing I must mention is the garbage and stuff in the water and on the shores. It is very disappointing to see so much disregard for a sea that is gorgeous.

On Friday, we visited the weekly outdoor market...our version
Valencia architectureValencia architectureValencia architecture

Science centre in front, theatre in behind
of a mall, only it is outdoors and is only open once a week 😊! Something you just have to do...it is packed and it is high energy. I would save up a list to visit this once a week!

There is a tv at the resort and there was one at Ingrid's as well...I have noticed that the commercial breaks in Spain are long enough to barbeque a steak! They are at least five minutes long. When we first turned on a telly...we thought we were watching an advertising channel as all it was ads. I sort of like that length of a break...you can actually get something done.

We took in a div3 level soccer game in Torreveija. It is high caliber soccer and seems to be the farm team level for the div 1 teams. The players are young and talented. It reminded me very much of Junior A hockey. You know where the rabid fans heckle the refs, yell at the players, and pretend that nothing in the world is more important! You were also sitting very close to the field so you had to watch to ensure you didn't get a futball in the nogin.

I have to thank my sister Heather and borther-in-law Mike for providing us with the opportunity for the resort in Torreveija. Thanks Heather & Mike! It has been a nice opportunity for some slower and less frantic r & r before we move on to Tunisia on Monday, November 2.

We are making some neat plans like visiting the desert and the like when we get to Africa. We are also excited because Nadine's sister Annie will be meeting us in Tunisia with her daughter Lea and her partner Ian. That will be great!

We have not heard anything about the teaching opportunity in China yet. They do not make decisions for the February term until November.

Our next post will be from Tunisia. Until then take care.

Dana, Nadine, Alex, Gabriel, & Nicolas.


Additional photos below
Photos: 62, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Alicante sitesAlicante sites
Alicante sites

Along the Marine walk
Alicante sitesAlicante sites
Alicante sites

Along the Marine walk
Alicante sitesAlicante sites
Alicante sites

Along the Marine walk
Alicante sitesAlicante sites
Alicante sites

Along the Marine walk


3rd November 2009

Fun!!
Thanks for keeping us all posted on your travels. It looks like so much fun. The ruins and castles are neat!! Abi and Claire say Hi!
3rd November 2009

Safe journey to AFRICA!!
Hi Nadine and Dana! Thanks for allowing us to share in this interesting journey. My computer was in the shop for a long week and a half, so I was really hoping for another blog entry to read as soon as the computer was back and running. So as I read this today, your gang is already headed to Africa....too exciting!! Dana's very descriptive blog just needs some appropriate backgound music, and I could really imagine myself in these countries. I can't help but think that our youngest kids would have a real challenge with unfamiliar foods and spices etc. , Nadine , how are your boys doing in that regard? Can you find your club soda is most places you've been? Pat has just gone out for a round of golf at The Blume today, i can't remember Nov. golfing in the Hat since we lived here. The kids are praying for snow, of course, I just like driving on dry roads for a few more weeks if we can. Keeping you in our prayers, Karen
19th November 2009

This family bond will be forever!
Je suis tres impressionnee!!!

Tot: 0.594s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 70; dbt: 0.1824s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb