Camino - Sing Like Nobody's Listening


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Navarre
June 17th 2010
Published: June 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Panorama Alto de Perdon, look for me.

The Camino attracts all people for all reasons. These people can be put into categories and so far they go something like this:

The Fit and Physical - These are the people who only want to see how quickly they can travel the Way. They have no time to stop and smell the coffee, roses or even the boots that sit outside the dormitory door. They are up at 5 (with no awareness of how loud their backpack zips are in the dark and sometimes freezing mornings). They stop only to obey the call of nature and speed past with dust flying while on the trail. They boast about their distances each night and are oblivious to the eye rollers within earshot. They arrive at their destination by 3pm and are fast asleep soon after. So when the slower walkers arrive, we unpack and talk to each other but are silenced with a lot of shushing, at 4pm for goodness sakes!

The Right and Religious - This small group of people are the one's who will walk the Way correctly, or in the manner they think is correct. They proceed to every church and cathedral en route and will also explain the correct way to others who are innocently placed at their table for dinner and can't escape for 2 hours.

The Germans - The Germans are an interesting group of peregrinos. They move in packs, are loud and kind of overlap into the Fit and Physical category. But I have met some wonderful Germans who were travelling on their own and even they don't like hearing the loud Germans across a restaurant or bar.

The Mid Life Changers - Obvious. The bulk of the solo pilgrims on this trip are in one way or another trying to decide or get over major issues in their lives and the direction they will take when they return home. Being a solo traveller is the best way to travel the Camino.

The Cyclists - Well, this group is not well liked at all. They speed past the walkers on a narrow stretch of path. They are dangerous and I was almost bowled over by a pack (even though the path was narrow and the road was right next to it). They take the beds in the Albergues when walkers are supposed to have priority. There have been many walkers turned away to find another bed for the night because an Albergue is full. They also move in packs. If one cyclist has ridden by you can always count on at least one other behind them. Now they do have their uses. If someone has left something behind in an Albergue, the hospitalario will ask a cyclist to help out and catch up to the pilgrim to return it. Very nice. Oh, and another nice thing about the cyclists, most of the men wear those tight lycra pants and are a pleasure to look at. However, when the over sixties are wearing the lycra, the effect is a little less than appealing.

The 'I'm Just here for the Adventure' Group - This would be the category I'm in (and I overlap into the mid life changers) and, I'd say, every other Australian and New Zealander and some wayward Irish. I'd also add the Canadians to this group too. In the usual way, we make fun of the others and laugh about anything really. We meet for drinks and/or tapas while the others are sleeping, we get up a little later after watching the others pack and run, we find cafes early for the quick injection of Cafe con leche. We can find bars early for the quick injection of beer and wine.

The Newly Retired and Still Trying to Prove Themselves Young Group - Obvious again. The sixty somethings from all over the world come here to walk the Camino because now they have the time. When a couple have just retired they are in a transition phase. Getting used to each other full time is difficult. Now the Camino is probably not the best way to start the retirement. Most couples I've seen show the cracks after a week or so. They start to niggle at each other, or contradict or interrupt the other's conversation. They need space and walk separately during the day. This also applies to all couples, to friends who come here together and family members who travel together. There are some exceptions to the rule but these were people who still had the love in their eyes even after 30 years.

Next blog - Camino - Dance like nobody's watching.




Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

All animals have right of wayAll animals have right of way
All animals have right of way

Sheep, cows, goats, donkeys, horses.


19th June 2010

hi
good, very interesting, well written blog. love xxx
19th June 2010

It's good to know someone enjoys my writing.
Thanks Mum!
25th June 2010

Camino - Wish I was there!!
Hi Lynne - I'm so excited to read your blogs (now I've worked out how to do it) - what a wonderful experience. Once I work out what group I'd fit into (already know not German/Fit/Physical/Cyclist/Retired) - eh eh must be your group! Great photos - lots of love xx

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0225s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb