Last day in Navarra: Roncesvalles, France & Camino de Santiago


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Navarre » Roncesvalles
October 30th 2010
Published: November 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After visiting the Erro homestead, Paulina, Javier and I took off to head to France. Yes, we are that close! From Ureta we drove through the colorful hills that were blossoming with fall colors. There were horses in the fields (the big, worker horses that are thick and full of muscle!), cows every which way, including in the roads! No joke, as we were driving, a herd of cows without any person leading them, came trotting down the road. We were forced to stop the car because these huge animals were coming straight on! It was definitely an experience...And the cows here are "real" cows. They are big and not living in small confined places, no, no, they are eating the grass and being jolly.

We arrived to the top of a mountain and Paulina said "Hola Francia!". Behind me was Spain, in front of me was France. The mountain was dotted with French sheep just munching away at the grass, and in the valley you could see small French villages nestled away.

We got out of the car and it was the most windy weather I have ever experienced! Paulina and I almost blew away into France. We walked around a bit on part of the Camino de Santiago (the famous pilgrimage that goes from France to the most Western part of France) and then hopped back in the car before we were too wind-bitten.

We headed to the town of Roncesvalles which is the first town that the Camino de Santiago goes through in Spain. It is a Spanish village with much French influence. Before wandering around in the misty weather, we had delicious hot soup in the hotel restaurant to warm up our bodies from the windy weather. The buildings were beautiful, and the church was a gorgeous Gothic style. Paulina said that Maria was married in this church!

The rain began to fall, and we headed back to the house.

I woke up the last day to the smell of something cooking. I wandered downstairs and Paco was wearing an apron cooking home made churros with chocolate (The typical Spanish breakfast that consists of fried "churros" and very, very thick chocolate sauce for dipping. It is a very sweet breakfast...) As we sat down and I didn't think I could physically consume any more sugars, Paulina insisted that we have the typical drink to go with our breakfast. Well guess what this drink is?? A glass of water with a HUGE amount of sugar. Sugar, sugar and more sugar!

They packed up the house and we took off back to Madrid! Paulina and Paco had been living in their country house since June, but now that the weather has begun to get so cold they were heading back to their house in Madrid.

It was a WONDERFUL experience and I couldn't have had a better Halloween 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



13th November 2010

Sooooooooo Interesting
Emily, you are so talented. I am glad that you are having this wonderful experience. Love, Connie

Tot: 0.35s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb