Mist, Muck & Mud


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Galicia
October 16th 2014
Published: October 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The last couple of days has been exactly as described in the heading. Today has been an exceptionally wet day, even the television weather people are saying the same thing.

Yesterday i bought a new poncho thinking it would give greater protection - wrong - I ended up as wet on the inside as the outside. After the first 10kms, and breakfast of bacon & eggs, i changed into a dry set of clothes only to get as wet again in the next couple of kms. So if has been great to arrive at our hotel, "The Cabana", have a shower, do some washing, and relax before dinner. The hotel is very modern, more like mountain cabins; it's very cosy.

Roger's leg has improved somewhat, so he started out this morning taking care not to aggravats it further. He is pleased it's improving, because when it happened he thought that was going to be the end of his Camino; but Praise the Lord He has brought healing.

In spite of the rain, we have entered a very verdant part of the country, everything is lush green, trees are many & varied. The animals love the lush green pastures, especially the cows who sit contentedly chewing their cud.

The crowds are building up with only 42.3 miles or 68kms to go; isn't that exciting to know we are so close to the end - yippee. Everyone is keen to arrive by Sunday morning. The big Cathederal in Santiago has a midday Mass which is special, because it includes the swinging of a massive big senser across the front of the Cathederal. When i say massive, i mean massive. It takes a few Priests to get the thing moving I believe. Roger & I want to be a part of that, so are hoping to arrive early, as the close the doors 10 minutes before the service starts.

As we walked today we talked about the Deer signs on the road, but said we haven't seen one since arriving in the country. I mentioned in an earlier blog about the number of aussies here. Today we met up with at least another 10. It 's amazing how many aussie accents you hear. When we do we ask what part of Australia are you from; they are surprised at first, but realize we are aussies as well, and we start talking in clear english everyone understands (that's to help my American friends know what true english is :-), :-).)

Hope you all have a blast for the rest of the week. It is now time for dinner. Cheerio for now. D


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



16th October 2014

Fun
So happy you are nearing the end of your journey! The special Mass should be a beautiful ending to a wonderful time of fellowship and accomplishments! We are so very proud of your commitment to this pilgrimage with Roger. You are going to have plenty of stories and experiences to draw from for your sermons. We look forward to a few lunches filled with recollections of your journey. Praying for continued good health and safety for you both!
16th October 2014

tested, tried & triumphant
Hi Betty & Ken, these words probably express the experience s of the last 6 weeks. Even at 70 the Lord can teach you a lot about yourself. It has been a great time though, and I have been so thankful to yourselves, and others for keeping in contact - even reading the blogs. Your encouragement has meant so much. Lots of Love. D
16th October 2014
P1060271

Mud and stuff!
Are you having fun yet? That is the question! What a day that must have been!! We were happy to hear you went through some 'verdant pastures' - did that line come from a 60 year old hymn way back when you were a kid who loved mud and mud pies? We think so!! Anyway, we want to encourage you - keep going! Nearly there, and that will be such an achievement! We are very proud of you!! Love from both of us. And continuing prayer for your health and well-being and joy, in rain, hail and shine!! Kev and Liz.
17th October 2014
P1060271

Verdant Pastures
It would seem I am not the only one who remembers this term; thereby putting us both in the same age category. You won the prize for picking out the ancient word. The prize - a trip to walk the Camino for wife & husband to see the verdant pastures for themselves. I understand hunor has been a part of the Smith household forever; thank you fir the laughs I've enjoyed on this trip Love you both. D
16th October 2014

Hi Daryl!
John and I have enjoyed each of your posts and all of the photos! One of us has kept her comments to herself under legal advice of the other... How excited you and Roger must be to succeed! We keep you in our prayers and can't wait to hear more when you return. Blessings to each of you!

Tot: 0.286s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0605s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb