A Mixed Bag


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Galicia
October 13th 2014
Published: October 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Amidst misty rain & clouds we began todays 24km journey in the dark. 3.5kms of elevation took us to the top of the mountain where rain set in and became heavier the further we traveled. Breakfast was at a little inn where i changed my wet shirt for a dry one. The rain continued unabated for a couple of hours, bringing a cold wind with it. Not the kind of weather a guy from California relishes, however we pressed on. Around lunch the weather improved and revealed some of the most wonderful scenes across the landscape. The last 5-8kms was all downhill, the rain had done the damage and the paths were mush. We weren't sure if it was mud or cow dung, but figured it was a mixture of both. This made moving forwarc dangerous especially when it's mixed with rocks and slate.

Speaking of slate, the Spanish have a slate mine along the way, very obvious from the altitude we were. They export a lot, as well as use it on houses; it looks so good.

Since we arrived at tonights accommodation the rain has again set in, so we maybe in for a wet walk tomorrow. We have done the washing & drying, had dinner, and now relaxing.

i need to tell you about last night though. We were high in the mountains in a rather remote part of Spain. As we sat down for dinner, we noticed a group of locals having a fun time eating & drinking. One guy had an accordion and began a musical evening that was just a fun night for everyone. They sang & danced, we photographed and recorded, applauded etc. It turns out they were the mountain postmen and their wives celebrating National Postmen day. The squeeze box player finished the night with a splendid rendition of "Granada", at Rogers request. We recorded it and will try to share it in a later blog.

This brings to an end another blog, i am looking forward toma good sleep, and hopefully a fine day tomorrow. Keep the comments coming they are a great source of encouragement. Blessings to you all. Daryl


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



13th October 2014

travels
So enjoying your blog. Sure hope your weather improves so you and really enjoy the tail end of your walk. Keeping you in prayer and looking forward to a wonderful slide show when you get back to Encore.
13th October 2014
P1060254

Picture
I can now see why you are complaining about sleeping arrangements. Looks a bit primitive. Kidding of course. Sorry you have had to endure the rain. I always look at rain as God cleaning the dust from the tree tops. Cold rain is a challenge though. Good to see you are rising to the challenge. Have fun jumping in the mud puddles!
13th October 2014

/Found You !!
I am excited to find you.....hope your feet are o.k.....Miss you! Love, LaVerne
15th October 2014

Here I Am
Hi LaVerne, how pleased I am to hear from you. The trek is going well, although a little tougher than I thought. We are into the last 5 days, so will be home by months end. Love. Daryl
13th October 2014

Rain Rain Come This Way!
Sounds like the perfect ending to a very challenging day! Hopefully, you will get a good night's sleep! Carry on! You are almost there! Always so good to get your daily blog!!!!
15th October 2014

Thank you
Hi karen, so pleased you're enjoying the blog. Give my love to the Sunday lunch crowd. C U soon.
13th October 2014
P1060244

About the guy from California!
Hey dude! We are almost certain that you are the guy from Ballarat . . . . so that weather should not bother you at all! In fact, if it isn't sleet and hail, you should be laughing!! :) And . . . . you could come back to Oz anytime soon and enjoy our amazing Spring and Summer! Would loved to have heard the music from the Postmen's celebration - sounded like a great night! Well, keep putting one foot in front of the other - that way you will keep moving!! (That's profound!) And try to keep dodging the messes on the road - less washing! With our love and prayers, Kev and Liz.

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0254s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb